Drum mic question again

mastahnke

Linux Man...
I asked something similar a while ago (maybe 18 months) but times have changed and I never did buy drums mics.

I really don't mic drums too often and would like to get somethign in the cheap range because of that.

Are the NADY packs from MF or AMS any good?
How about the Audix packs, if so which ones?

I may decide just to buy 3 57-s and fake the kick drums, at least I can use the 57s all over.

I have 2 MXL V67G
1 ADK A-51 (III)
Audio Technica Small Dia.

And many more mics that I can't think of right now....

ANyway, yay or nay on the Nady's, they are cheap, I like cheap...plus 7 mics for 179...

MIKE

What about the v67's as overheads, an SM57 for snare (around $79) and a ATM pro25 for kick (around $100). For more options you could add a pair of MXL 603's ($100) and more '57s

Steve

you could get a sm57 for snare and an AT ATMPRO25 for kick and use the v67s as stereo overheads....that would paint a nice picture of the kit.....should be able to get both for around $79 ea.

I like Gidge's idea, except I'd use Studio Projects B1's as overheads ($79 each x 2). Or, if you're really on a tight budget, the MXL 603's are a great value-priced SD condenser (sometimes as low as $49 each x 2) that works well for overheads.

If i were to choose from the mics you mentioned, I'm afraid you'd be disappointed in the Nady mic packs; Audix makes a much better mic, IMHO.

Didn't you say you had an Audio Technica Small-diaph. condenser? Just get another one of those and use them as overheads. Stick a 57 on everything else, and that should work fine . . . you might consider throwing one of your v67s in front of the kick; perhaps mix that with another 57 right on the beater.

hey.... you are from central, IL. whereabouts are you from? I am from the same places. Give me a location.
andrew. also, i am wasted.

Musician's Friend, ZZounds, Sam Ash, etc. now have several drum mic packages. Audix are very good. Nady? Nope.

I've got my eye set on the Sennheiser clip-ons though. I played a gig where they were used and they were stunning.

If you save for a bit and pick up a good kick mic such as the AKG D112, you will have a mic that will last you from the garage, to the monster-size arena. Totally worth the extra cost. You can get a D112 for under 200 bucks now.

If you can save up about $500, you'll be set for drum mics. Another alternative is to get a pair of good condenser mics and capture the drum sounds from overheads. I like Rode NT1's and NT5's for that purpose. I've also used the old Shure BG 4.1's for a killer sound as well.

Good luck with it

Back