Drum Mic Packages

lthrbls

I have been recently in the market for some drum mics. I have a small home studio, but would like some decent mics for recording drums. Through some research, I noticed AKG and Audio Technica have some nice little drum mic packages.

Both offer a set with two condensors, and 2-3 other mics including a bass drum mic. Are these sets worth it? The prices look good, and I want to get some opinions before I go and order them?

Any pros/cons of these mic sets?

Thanks,

Justin

for that prices,
I preffer the pro25, sm57, and two nice overheads....

I dont trust in the mic package for recording, but I have never try them.

for that prices,
I preffer the pro25, sm57, and two nice overheads....

I dont trust in the mic package for recording, but I have never try them.

ok

what would reccommend as far as two overheads go? what about micing the bass room?

any suggestions will help. i saw a cad package go for 200 bucks on ebay today.

model numbers will help me.

thanks

Overheads? I'm getting a pair of Rode NT1s ($169 each at zzounds.com)...large diaphragm condensors, they are. A favorite around this board. Recording Engineer will recommend the Oktava MC012's (buy them from The Sound Room only), but those are rather pricey ($279 a piece...$689 for matched stereo pair if I remember correctly), and the Shure 81s? Am I getting the number right?

well. IMHO_IMHO_IMHO_IMHO

I prefer a diferent one then the RODE NT1 for overheads, and I think you are looking for something cheaper:

kick - pro25 (also work in the bass amp) $100
snare - sm57 (a live leyend, also for the guitar amps, trumpets, etc.)$80

and what about:
2 shure 16am condenser mics!!! $70 each!!! also works in acoustic guitars.

so you need $320 for a nice set of mics that you can use all around.

of course, for more money you can get a nice pair of
AUDIO TECHNICA pro37R for $130 each instead of the 16am.

all prices from zZound.

Great

Thanks for the help. Yes, I am not looking to spend loads of cash for the mics, but the prices mentioned seem good.

I already own 2 SM-57 mics. They have been used to mic my guitar amps for years, and I love 'em. I will try out some of the mentioned mics.

Thanks again!

Justin

Go to http://www.marsmusic.com and look for the CAD Drum Mic pack. I needed some drum mics cause all my other mics were in use and I picked this up for $149.00 It has 3 Mics in it, two NDM 10's and a NDM 11 for kick. I used these with some SM-57's and a AT4033. The sound was very nice, I was more then happy for the price.

Shakes,

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today

im using two 16a's for o/heads, pro25 on the kick, sm57 on the snare , sm58on the floor tom, behringer dynamics (yuk!) on the middle toms and a behringer dynamic on the hi hats ... Everything sounds good , but i think the toms , mainly all the behringers need replacing... they do the job , just not real well .. But all the rest are fine and very affordable as mentioned here before... ive always wondered about these drum mike packs too... El barto , nt1's as o/heads??does this work good? i thought they might be too sensitive or something... probly sound very crisp though i bet..

Opinion Central

You can still get a package of three Sennheiser E-604 mics for around $300 or so. While I have yet to play around with them myself, I've heard good things from other people. Someone on the BBS uses them as well (I don't remember who). I'd say they're definately worth looking into.

As far as OH mics, I'd stay away from the NT1 for that purpose. Not that they couldn't be used, but I've never read of anyone prefering them for this purpose. Again, that's just opinion, and it's not even mine really.

If that doesn't do it for you, you can always mic each tom with a 57...nothing wrong with that.

Mark
Alpha Dog
http://www.mp3.com/alphadog
http://alphadog.iuma.com

Spider, I believe the NT1s do a very good job on drum overheads...I'm pretty sure that's a favorite method among the people on this board. Anyone have any good/bad stories about NT1s on overheads?

i tried it with an nt1 the other day, i only have the one nt1 so i used my normal o/heads (shure16a's) as a left right configuration and the rode as kind of a room mike.. sat it at about the cymbal level and about a metere and a half from the kit.. Was really crisp on the cymbals , but i didnt really try to make it pick up the kit, the other mikes do that good...it sounded good but i dont think they would be my prefered o/head microphone, would rather keep the nt1 for vocals that sort of thing....

If you guys were ancient like me you would know that AKG D-190E and D-1000Es are awesome drum mics. No one knows what they are nowadays I get them from 20 to 30 bucks all the time also the Sure 545s is the same mic as the SM-57 they go for about 30 bucks used.I used to hold these secrets but I guess I finally have enough of them.

Back