Drum mic ideas needed

Brian_SG

My budget for mics would be probably around $400. I would be recording drums for rock music. It wouldn't be in a room thats treated really at all. I'm looking at probably a 2 OH, kick, and snare combo. I've been looking at naiants for OH's, but they're omni which i've read don't work very well with untreated rooms. I would want one of the mics to be a SM57 because I plan to use it on a guitar cab also. Any suggestions?

Lordy, this question in some form has been posted in some form like 1000 times.
My .02?

2 AT3031 for OH
2 GLS audio ES57s - 1 kick, 1 snare

There's your 400

Otherwise, go used and try to score a real kick mic on ebay.

JD

dude im on that too, I would get sn Shure SM 57 FOR SURE! U will need it for micing a cab for guitar anyways.

The GLS- ES 57 are Replicas of the SM 57 u can get 3 for liek 80 bucks, but i dont know... i rather buy a used SM 57. I dont think the GLS es 57 will sound near as good as an sm 57.

Overheads Well i was thinking of the naaint, but i still believe there well worth it.

Kick i would buy an AKG d 112(used 150)

and im sure u can get some tom mic for like 100 bucks for like 4 of them

U can get the mics u need to get the job done all u need to do is SHOP SMART( Used) Look on ebay or craiglist!

do this buy the shure drum mic package
3-sm57s with clips
1-beta 52

sell one sm57
and buy naiants for overheads

ecm 8000 for OH, 57 on snare and 52 or 112 on kick.... should stay within budget with those 4 mics and get a decent drum sound.

Wrong...

dude im on that too, I would get sn Shure SM 57 FOR SURE! U will need it for micing a cab for guitar anyways.

The GLS- ES 57 are Replicas of the SM 57 u can get 3 for liek 80 bucks, but i dont know... i rather buy a used SM 57. I dont think the GLS es 57 will sound near as good as an sm 57.

Overheads Well i was thinking of the naaint, but i still believe there well worth it.

Kick i would buy an AKG d 112(used 150)

and im sure u can get some tom mic for like 100 bucks for like 4 of them

U can get the mics u need to get the job done all u need to do is SHOP SMART( Used) Look on ebay or craiglist!
The ES-57's, in my opinion, actually sound distinctively better than the Shure mic for instruments - their freq response, while tailored to be like an SM-57, is actually slightly more linear and less hyped in the midrange....at least to my ears.

I have, own, and use both the ES-57/ES-58/SM-57/SM-58...while I prefer the SM-58 for vocals over the ES-58, I strongly prefer the ES-57 to the SM-57 for most instrument sources.

Jay

I own the naiants and the AT3031s. While the naiants are great for the money they do not sound as good as the cardioid mics in my untreated room.

Try this

Get a pair of Oktava MK-012's as overheads (make certain they are the Russian made)
$150 on sale
ATM 25 for kick (works well for a lot of other things too. Consider it a poor man's RE 20)
$125
SM 57 on snare
$75

Total- $350

Get a pair of Oktava MK-012's as overheads (make certain they are the Russian made)
$150 on sale
ATM 25 for kick (works well for a lot of other things too. Consider it a poor man's RE 20)
$125
SM 57 on snare
$75

Total- $350

I don't think that the Oktavas can be had for nearly that
little anymore.

I got a set of 7 CAD drum mics in a kit for $150, and I really like them. It came with 2 condensers for OH, 3 tom mics, a snare mic (sounds better than my SM57... way better!) and a kick mic. It's a great kit, for just a little scratch. They are cheaply made, but sound pretty good, to my ears. Honestly, the snare mic sounds so good, it's like getting the others for $50.

~Shawn

Back