Drum Mic Help!!

jonorigin

Hello

I'm a total newbie to recording stuff, so I really need some help. I want to start recording stuff with my band, and my current task is to find some drum mics that would suit my needs. My set up is:

St audio Hoontech C-port dsp 2000 souncard thingy!
Spirit Folio SX

Now, i've been looking at the AKG drum mic set and the Thomann t.bone mic set, both of which consist of 5 mics, but the Thomann set is half the price. Now i'm assuming that this is because they aren't as good. my main question is, are my soundcard and desk good enough that I would be ablt to tell the difference between the two sets of microphones. Is it worth spending the extra £200 for the AKG?

Also, does anyone have any alternatives they think might work better on my budget (£3-400)?

Thanks

Jon

Origin

HTTP://listen.to/origin

Ive never been a fan of drum mic sets.....

If I were recording drums again, id have a pair of Marshal MXL603's as overheads, a Shure SM57 on snare, and a AT ATMPRO25 on kick.....

Thanks for the help mate! I've done some more research and I think you might be right about the mic sets. I'm leaning towards a Shure Sm57 for snare and a AKG d112 on the kick drum. Does anyone have any view on this choice. I could also do with some help choosing tom and overheads as well.

howdy - something you might wanna consider are a couple of PZM mics (Crown makes a nice model,and RS makes almost the same model) as overheads - sound great,they're pretty cheap ($30-$60/ea), and eliminate phase issues...

L6Sguy said:
howdy - something you might wanna consider are a couple of PZM mics (Crown makes a nice model,and RS makes almost the same model) as overheads - sound great,they're pretty cheap ($30-$60/ea), and eliminate phase issues...

OK, now i'm gonna look like an idiot, but what is phase, and what are the issues involved in overheads? I also heard someone say it might sound good to try a mike underneath the snare as well as over it, and to reverse the phase of one of the mics? How do I do this [/idiotmode]

While I understand why a PZM mic would eliminate the reflected sound (at least from the surface to which it's attached), please explain why a PZM mic would eliminate phase issues?

Back