Drum make-over

dreib

I put a coat of poly inside the shells, gonna recover them and of course new heads. Im just wondering whats new out there for the resonant side? Ive always just used remo's or even stock resos, Im open for ideas.

I put a coat of poly inside the shells, gonna recover them and of course new heads. Im just wondering whats new out there for the resonant side? Ive always just used remo's or even stock resos, Im open for ideas.

Putting "poly" on the insides of the drums is a big mistake....no use in having any particular type of wood if that is what you gonna do.:eek:

Lol.

Why do you wanna coat the inside of your shells? What are you trying to get that's not there with your drum sound?

Exactly the question I asked;) I think he may be confusing the outside shell (normally laquered for looks). But coating insides of a good wood,would defeat the whole purpose of a good sounding drum!!! :eatpopcorn:

Exactly the question I asked;) I think he may be confusing the outside shell (normally laquered for looks). But coating insides of a good wood,would defeat the whole purpose of a good sounding drum!!! :eatpopcorn:

Many shells already come with some kind of mild oil or even a factory applied thin urethane coating on the inside. This is to protect the shells interior exposed wood from humidity, temp changes, etc. Cheaper shells are pretty janky on the inside, so maybe there's something to adding a coating to cheap shells, but damn, polyurethane? I used to coat my skateboard ramps with polyurethane. Heavy stuff. I don't think I'd want that inside my drum shells, but whatever. To each his own. I just wanna know what he's trying to get out of it. Maybe there's a less aggressive way to do it.

Many shells already come with some kind of mild oil or even a factory applied thin urethane coating on the inside. This is to protect the shells interior exposed wood from humidity, temp changes, etc. Cheaper shells are pretty janky on the inside, so maybe there's something to adding a coating to cheap shells, but damn, polyurethane? I used to coat my skateboard ramps with polyurethane. Heavy stuff. I don't think I'd want that inside my drum shells, but whatever. To each his own. I just wanna know what he's trying to get out of it. Maybe there's a less aggressive way to do it.

Ok well yeah I never really new that but can beleive it(a light coat of something) and I posted something on this thread about how I put some linseed oil inside of an old snare drum shell that had laid in my attic for a very long time. It sort of brought the life back out of the wood which i thought was very practical;)

I didnt lay it on like peanut butter LOL! Just a nice thin coat to act as a sealer. It also can help to produce a more focused sound and enhance the high end. The drums are pearl export maple shells, as I have said before, there is no compositional difference between a master series maple shell and an export maple shell, aside from hardware, the finishes, and lastly, master series shells have a thin coat of polyurethane on the inside of the shells. I found this out when I added a 18" floor tom. I couldnt find a matching export(ECX), so I had to buy a master series drum(MCX ebony black). I had to call pearl in nashville to even track down the floor tom I bought, it was the last one available in their warehouse, and at that time I asked about the interior finishes and they explained to me the afore mentioned facts.
I might add that floor tom cost almost as much as the whole drumset, but I had to have it!

I also have a very old master series set that I got in ...gulp, 1986ish? and they also have a poly coated iinterior. And Im sure you guys have seen Gretsch renown and USA Customs have that silver finish on the inside of their shells.

So like I said its pretty common, and at the same time Im not saying a finished interior makes a drum 100 times better, but it certainly does not hurt it.

Yeah I know companies do things to the interior of their shells. I just don't know why you'd want to do more. A brighter more focused sound is easy with the right heads. I guarantee the coating doesn't make nearly the tonal difference a simple head swap and tune will. But knock yourself out. :)

Well since the 18" masters floor tom had it done at the factory Im just bringing the other toms up to spec, so to speak.
And I suppose I may be committing more crimes by puting new coverings over a laquer finished drums but its cheaper than new drums and besides they have been beat to hell over the years, which reminds me ,I really need to get new drum cases that I can fit in my van, my old road cases are too heavy and way too big!!

I use gig bags for my drums. They're not as protective as cases, but they work for local gigs, and I can cram my entire 6pc kit and hardware bag into a Camry if I pack it just right. :D

Back