Drum Machine Recommendations?

gcormier04401

Recently purchased a Korg D1600 MKII and am really liking it's functionality. I'm on the East coast and collaborating with someone on the West coast. I'd really like some recommendations on used drum machines... I'm really out of my area of knowledge here. I'd simply like a machine that will let me program a song, start to finish with some halfway decent sounds. Would like to be able to visually cut/copy/past parts of the timeline...etc. Any thoughts? Alesis SR16/SR18? Boss?

Very much appreciate any input...

~ GC

im using an mpc500 for portability and it sounds great. but if you want a drum machine specifically for the studio, get either an mpc1000 or mpc 2500 with jj os installed.

:cool:Yo "GC" O4:

The BOSS 880 will do PLENTY of stuff for you. It will do many things and the sound is pretty good on most of the presets.

You can use the auto-bass track or turn it off and use your own bass.

Also, there is a direct input from Guitar to BOSS to recorder, etc.

The 880 has been around a short time and I'm looking for an upgrade soon. There are some 400 plus presets; then, you can edit and do your own rhythms if you need.

Green Hornet:D

If you do get a drum machine do you plan on syncing it via midi with the Korg?If not I highly recommend it.

I have an Alesis SR 16...

Boss DR 660, my good old Alesis HR 16. They all have something to bring to the table, and even though, they say the SR 16 is a bit dated, what is dated these days? It works great in my rig. They are all very capable units, and are NOT midi'd up to my Tascam 2488MKII!! Oh no!! I have hardware...lots of it (Analog, Analog modeling synths, FM synths, FM Linear, and sampling synths)! I'm not into virtual...drum machines are dying by the wayside, but I'll stay with them.

. They are all very capable units, and are NOT midi'd up to my Tascam 2488MKII!! .

Syncing offers lots of benefits along with freeiing up tracks it also gives you the ability to change sounds or beats anytime in production.I used to sync a DR660 to a VS880 before I ever got into computer recording and it worked great.Plus everything is neatly lined up to beats and time making it much easier to collaborate with other systems.

I'll 2nd the recommendation for the DR-880.

I'll also agree with syncing the drum machine with your recorder...
...because, as of yet, I don't! And it has caused me some nightmares.

Hi,

My recommendation would depend on the type of music.

One of my bands performs live electronic dance music, for this we use a Boss (Roland) DR 202 Dr Groove, http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=169 Which in its self is a great little piece of gear (and now cheap on the second hand market),

I write the drum sequences with Ableton, and load them along with our samples into a Akai MPC 1000. The MPC 1000 then plays the sequences on stage using the DR202 as a drum sound library via Midi. The MPC also triggers our samples and sends program changes to the on stage keyboards.

Cheers

Alan.

Recently purchased a Korg D1600 MKII and am really liking it's functionality. I'm on the East coast and collaborating with someone on the West coast. I'd really like some recommendations on used drum machines... I'm really out of my area of knowledge here. I'd simply like a machine that will let me program a song, start to finish with some halfway decent sounds. Would like to be able to visually cut/copy/past parts of the timeline...etc. Any thoughts? Alesis SR16/SR18? Boss?

Very much appreciate any input...

~ GC

I like the BOSS DR Series, particulary the 550 and 660.

Back