Drum machine programs and Cakewalk

Xplora

Hey everyone. My first post here :)

How do you make programs like Drum Station, Hammerhead and Fruity Loops (to name a few) to record to Cakewalk? I really have no idea how to do it...

I have no real experience with the drum machine programs, so I don't know the secrets to doing all this yet. I don't see any save buttons that save to Wav or Midi, but I'm sure there must be a way to record these things to cakewalk, because otherwise a drum program is pretty useless just pumping from a PC.

I write metal music most of the time, but it would be interesting to put some house or bass and drums beats with those metal guitar riffs. Hence why I don't really have much experience with drum machines, normally I program midi for my demo drums.

Thanks
LWH

If your loop is a wave file, highlight a blank track then 'insert wave'. You can insert waves directly from a cd or from a folder in which it is saved.

Fruity loops has a export as wave file feature in the file drop down box which is good for generating loops, then insert in cakewalk as a wav file, then paste as much as is needed.
Alternately you can set up a program to record such as Cool Edit and set your mixer on your soundcard to record wave then play Fruity loops as its recording in Cool Edit. Then just import them into cakewalk. I like this way best because then you can process the sound better before inserting them to the arrangement.

You could record directly into cakewalk but youd have to mute all the audio tracks as they will also appear on the track that you want the drums to go if you dont. To get technical you can sync fruity loops to cakewalk so it starts exactly the same time as cakewalk and record them this way to be precise, but thats another chapter altogether.

Hope this makes sense to you ;)

SolRa

I have some experience with the d&d drummer guy and I can say this much. It has both midi drum loops and wave drum loops which can be easily inserted into CW. I found it to be a more than adequate performer. The new version has some improvements, but I haven't been able to check it out.
Hunt around the cakewalk website for a demo to download.

Back