Drum Machine Output Levels

musicman9434

Hi guys,

My drum machine has 2 1/4 inch TS outputs for it's mains. I am new to some of these concepts so I was just looking for a little clarification. So does that mean since the outputs are TS they would be unbalanced and if I used TS cables, that would mean my maximum output would be -10dB right?

Ummm... RTFM? Pretty sure it'll answer the question. Id look it up for you, but you didn't specify what drum machine you've got.

Anyway, I can guarantee that the maximum output will be -10db with respect to something somewhere. That is, the term -10db is an expression of a ratio between two levels, not any absolute level. One would assume that you mean -10dbV, which is an actual concrete value and a common "nominal level" for a lot of unbalanced gear.

But that is usually a nominal level - as in the preferred operating point. It's likely that the maximum level of the device is substantially greater than that. Heck, it might have enough headroom to hit +10dbV with everything cranked and hitting hard! That, of course, would be -10db compared to +20dbV.

So, yeah, you're absolutely correct. It's maximum level is definitely -10db compared to something in the world.

Last edited:
Anyway, I can guarantee that the maximum output will be -10db with respect to something somewhere. That is, the term -10db is an expression of a ratio between two levels, not any absolute level. One would assume that you mean -10dbv, which is an actual concrete value and a common "nominal level" for a lot of unbalanced gear.

I'll point out that dBv is the obsolete form of dBu, not to be confused with dBV. As in, consumer line level is -10dBV, pro line level is +4dBu.

Back