Drum Machine Midi Issue - DM-Pro - thoughts???

ebitda

My issue is that I cannot get my drum machine to transmit MIDI to Cubase. Routing is as follows: Korg Triton MIDI out to Alesis DM-Pro Midi in. DM-Pro connected via it's Midi out to MIDI in of the MIDI interface (Emagic), this in turn is routed to computer via USB. Also, main L/R audio outputs of DM-Pro connected to MOTU 828.

If I hit a key on the Triton the drums are triggered and I can hear this & record ok via Cubase (audio track).

The DM-Pro however does not seem to be transmitting MIDI though at the same time since the MIDI 'in' light on the MIDI interface does not light and the MIDI track I've set up in cubase does not record any Midi events.
Surely you must be able to record Midi data from the DM-Pro whilst listening to the corresponding audio output. The DM-Pro manual discusses the transmission on MIDI when the DM-Pro is triggered via pads but I'm not using pads just the Triton as a controller keyboard.

I've done all the obvious things (checked leads, using channel 10 for Triton, DM-Pro, Cubase). No problem doing things the other way ie. triggering the DM-Pro from a previously set-up Midi track in Cubase.

I'd really appreciate some help here!

Rgds

Carl

MIDI Out only sends midi that was generated on that device. A MIDI Thru is needed to pass on midi that was generated earlier in the chain. If your drum machine will allow you to configure the MIDI Out as a Thru then you will be all set. Otherwise you will need to trigger the drums on the drum machine itself or record the patterns and then send them over to the computer.

On way you can hook up the stuff is to connect the Triton MIDI In and Out to the computer then go from the Triton MIDI Thru to the drum machine. Make sure that LOCAL is OFF on the Triton. Now everything will be triggered from the Triton.

DM-Pro Midi

Thanks Texroadkill for your advice - I appreciate your help. I do not think that I explained myself that well though in my thread though....

Basically, I'm trying to record the DM-Pro audio output (which I can do ok) & corresponding Midi information (generated by the DM-Pro) at the same time. The Triton is transmitting Midi to the DM-Pro and it's triggering the drums. However the way I saw things (perhaps wrongly so) is that as the drum sounds are triggered, they will in turn generate their own Midi data (as well as audio of course) and it's this Midi data I'm trying to record (rather than the source Midi data from the Triton). So.....

Triton > Midi data > triggers drums in DM Pro > audio output to computer
> 'new' Midi data created

It's this 'new' midi data that's created I wish to record in the computer.

I hope I'm not confusing matters too much. Have your thoughts changed on how I may overcome this issue?

Rgds

Carl

I would hook it up just as Tex suggested.

MIDI out from the the Triton to MIDI in on the computer
MIDI out from the computer to MIDI in on the Triton
MIDI thru on the Triton to MIDI in on the DM PRO

As TEX said, MIDI out only transmits what that device (in this case the Triton) sends out.

If you do What Tex said, the computer can record the MIDI performance from the Triton, send the data back to the Triton and the Triton than sends the MIDI data to the DM Pro. (The DM PRo would not be sending any MIDI dtat out - unless you send the MIDI thru from the DMPRO to another device - but even in that case the DMPRO is simply passing the Triton's MIDI data thru)

That way you can record the MIDI from the Triton and the analog form both the Triton and the DM Pro at the same time.

Candidly, I would think you would want to record just the MIDI first, allowing you to make critical sound decisions (ie: change sounds before you commit to tape (or in this case disk).

Back