Drum loops but not drum loops.

wang191

I guess i'll ask the question here first since i'm using sonar3 producer.

I have been programming my drum tracks in reason using the drum machine and then editing the midi. The sound really leaves a lot to be desired so i was wondering if anyone knows of any drum loops that can be purchased/downloaded of real drums. This would be prefereably as slices so the temp can be changed.

Also if anyone knows of any where they have each drum individually that would be cool so i can mix and match the kick drums and snare and rolls when and where i want them.

Not sure if this is a stretch. Looking for something relativly cheap but options are options.

Thanks

There are a couple ways to go. As far as I know, the top two sets of drum samples are BFD (www.fxpansion.com) and Drumkit From Hell Superior (www.toontrack.com). Both are about $300 list. I got DFHS for $249 from Sam Ash (they price matched another website).

These are expensive, but sound awesome. I have DFHS, so I can only speak for it. There are a multitude of drum kits and cymbal types included. You can mix and match your kits almost any way you want and save them.

The samples are un-EQed and are totally dry. This is good if you want to spend the time to EQ your own drums to have them dialed-in exactly how you think they should be.

Another great thing about DFHS is that there are also settings to process the room ambience and mic bleed. You know on a real kit how the snare bleeds into the overheads, and the kick bleeds into the snare a bit? The software can process that into the file when you mix it down to audio.

There are some issues with DFHS though. First of all the install procedure is a pain in the ass. You have to physically copy/paste 9 DVDs (I think it was 9) to your hard drive. This is over 35GB of samples! You also need a lot of ram if you want your entire kit loaded and don't want any issues with it streaming samples off the hard drive. You'd probably want 2GB of ram for DFHS.

Toontrack also makes Drumkit From Hell and Drumkit From Hell 2. DFH is EQed for those who don't want to deal with mixing their own drums. It is about $100 list price, and apparently it sounds great too. DFH2 is unEQed and is somewhat cheaper than DFHS.

I've also heard that DFH and DFH2 aren't such memory/ram pigs when compared to DFHS.

I got DFHS and love the sound (even without EQ). I coupled it with an M-Audio Trigger Finger to do my drum tracking with and it works great. I can even use one of the sliders to control how open my hi-hats are. :)

Here are two samples to show the variety of sounds you can get through DFHS.

Well i'm looking for a way to get both almost. because we all know samples just dont sound right when it's time to put in a drum roll or snare roll. So i was hoping there was a way to get a loop for rolls or maybe a larger sample of an actual drum roll with cuts at the transients so they can be made to any tempo.

Or maybe i'm asking too much.

This DFHS sounds pretty cool. I will def. take a look into these. The demos sound pretty damn good.

wang191 said:
Well i'm looking for a way to get both almost. because we all know samples just dont sound right when it's time to put in a drum roll or snare roll. So i was hoping there was a way to get a loop for rolls or maybe a larger sample of an actual drum roll with cuts at the transients so they can be made to any tempo.

Or maybe i'm asking too much.

This DFHS sounds pretty cool. I will def. take a look into these. The demos sound pretty damn good.

The snare rolls sound fine if you have the right velocity. It's harder to get realistic sounding snare rolls when you input your beats with a mouse, but if you have some input device you can tap with your hands, then you can make the velocity sound perfect.

The software also selects random samples and doesn't play the same sample back-to-back so it will sound more natural.

Each kit piece also has different hit types. The snare has left hand, right hand, rim shots, side stick, flams, etc. The ride has strictly tapping on the cymbal, bell, cymbal-to-bell based on velocity, crashing on it, punching it. Hi-Hats have individual notes that correspond to all levels of the hat from tight to fully open, stomps, opening with your foot, and the one that is controlled by a slider or foot controller to your liking. Cymbals also have chokes.

BFD probably does all this stuff too, but I haven't tried it or messed with it myself.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
The snare rolls sound fine if you have the right velocity. It's harder to get realistic sounding snare rolls when you input your beats with a mouse, but if you have some input device you can tap with your hands, then you can make the velocity sound perfect.

The software also selects random samples and doesn't play the same sample back-to-back so it will sound more natural.

Each kit piece also has different hit types. The snare has left hand, right hand, rim shots, side stick, flams, etc. The ride has strictly tapping on the cymbal, bell, cymbal-to-bell based on velocity, crashing on it, punching it. Hi-Hats have individual notes that correspond to all levels of the hat from tight to fully open, stomps, opening with your foot, and the one that is controlled by a slider or foot controller to your liking. Cymbals also have chokes.

BFD probably does all this stuff too, but I haven't tried it or messed with it myself.

i have bfd. the hi hats are limited. there is no wide open hi hat sound, which i really want. i think dfhs is the way to go if you are thinking about bfd or dfhs.

Back