Drum Eq-s

Jakearabble

Sorry...i know this has probably been a post one trillion times...but i need some tips eqing my drums...here is what i got
a very small mapex v-series set...with zildjin and paiste symbals...i have an MXL603s overhead...a sennheiser 835 in the kick....another 835 about an inch over the snare...and an mxl v67 condenser on the hihat....this is all feeding into my mackie 12-02...into my delta66 and then into cubase

im awful at eq-ing them because i have no expierence doing so...please tell me some basic recommendations on eq settings (cuts, boosts etc) thanks sooooo much for any replies
-Jake

Best advice is to avoid eqing by placing mics to get the sound you want from each mic. Then you should think more of filtering unwanted frequencies to achieve the most efficient use of volume from each source.

The kick mic I would use a low pass filter on or cut everything above 800 hz.with a smooth slope. The snare could be low cut at around 200 hz. The overheads could use a low cut, the toms I would leave because the range is too wide.

Just think about the instrument's range and listen to the mic to see if you are getting any suless frequencies by cutting some to hear how it affects the instrument you're trying to capture.

Try it mess around, good luck...Jake.:D

ah good advice...im not sure i know how to cut high frequencies "with a smooth slope"...sorry im kinda new to eqing...thanks again...jake...!
-Jake

Back