Drum / Bass question.

Smokepole

This may not be the proper forum but it seems like there are a lot of guys here who work alone.

I'm working with a small drum machine and I've been doing my own bass tracks too. (I'm a guitarist)

When you workout a tune, do you generally put down a drum track first and then try to play a bass line with it that locks in a little with the kick etc. Or do you kind of lay down a bass line first and then try to program a kick drum that compliments things?
I'm lost here.

I know from years of being in bands that the guys always lock up, but I'm not sure how to approach this for home recording??? And also that I have little experience with either instrument.

Thanks guys

Joe

Joe,

I have to hear it in my head first. Then I do a drum program and record it to the computer. Then add a bass track. Then I start laying other scratch tracks, all the while working out new ideas in my head. I change some stuff, keep some stuff, and get rid of some stuff. Then I go back and make any necessary changes to my drum program, fills, accents, etc, to go with any new ideas. Then I record my new drum program, and lay down either a bass line or rythym guitar and start over using my original recording for reference. I always experiment and practice with the original track so I don't mess up the one I intend to use for the final. Works ok for me!

Twist

twist
That actually helped a lot! I haven't been using, as you say, "scratch tracks" at all. I program a beat and force everything to conform to it. I'm going to try that to see how things start to fit together and re-adjust as necessary. I can just keep laying down virtual tracks below the starter tracks with adjustments made to them instead of trying to do it in one shot.

Thanks for the reply

Joe

Back