Drum and Bass Softsynths

darrvid

What would you guys suggest I use for realistic bass and drum sounds? I don't have a midi controller yet, but plan on getting a CME UF6. This would be my first soft synth purchase, and my music style is mainly rock/blues. Price is an issue, so the cheaper the better, but it's always nice if it actually sounds good too. (also, am I correct in calling this a soft synth?)

Thanks.

Well, the only softsynth I have ever used is DFHS. It is not cheap, but sounds good. I also have some wav samples to build loops out of. Takes some time, but works. What kind of budget?

Well, technically what you're looking for is a sampler. You can either get one of those libraries that come with their own sample player, or you can just get a standalone sampler and get sample libraries.

Personally when it comes for acoustic drum sounds I just use Native Instruments Battery drum sampler and load NSKIT samples into it (you can download NSKIT from www.nskit.com). Also, Battery comes with a sizable library of its own.

For bass, you might want to give Spectrasonics Trilogy or Broomstick a try.

Here's another with the NSK in SFZ and some bass with the VB1 vsti (free), then the 4front vsti (free).

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=2889

4front does'nt sound too bad, especially for free. You'll have to forgive my cheesy bass line. I know even less about bass than drums. :D

If you mixed it properly in a full blown tune, I think the 4front might pass as a bass guitar.

Also, you should know that any ol' keyboard with midi out will work fine for this stuff..........even an old 1980 casio from a garage sale for $5.

Back