Drop tape machines for computer system?

ADATlove

I've been recording without a computer in the chain for my entire recording life and I'm considering making the switch. I have a pretty solid front end right now, with a Tascam M-320b, some decent external mic pres, quirky effects units, not-too-shabby compression, workable mics, etc. I'm using a couple of ADATs (which are driving me towards insanity at the moment) and I'd love to just drop in a computer to sub for the ADAT's tape drive so I can use everything else in my system as-is.

Am I correct in thinking I can get a computer with an ADAT lightpipe card and use the ADAT as my AD/DA while still running the rest of my system as before? I've used Pro Tools systems before but this is the first time I'm considering a computer-based recording system in my personal studio.

ADATlove said:
I've been recording without a computer in the chain for my entire recording life and I'm considering making the switch. I have a pretty solid front end right now, with a Tascam M-320b, some decent external mic pres, quirky effects units, not-too-shabby compression, workable mics, etc. I'm using a couple of ADATs (which are driving me towards insanity at the moment) and I'd love to just drop in a computer to sub for the ADAT's tape drive so I can use everything else in my system as-is.

Am I correct in thinking I can get a computer with an ADAT lightpipe card and use the ADAT as my AD/DA while still running the rest of my system as before? I've used Pro Tools systems before but this is the first time I'm considering a computer-based recording system in my personal studio.

In my case I did use, a Tascam DA38, Sony Minidisk, AKA DPS16, and now I'm using a computer base system, and there;s no going back........The flxibility has no comparison, with the proper back up tools you'll be set.

Any recommendations for computers or computer requirements? What's a good piece of hardware with ADAT lightpipe that will allow me to have 16 ins and outs?

Have you considered adding an Alesis HD24 and an RME Hammerfall card? This will give you MUCH better converters than the ADAT's, compatibility with the ADATs to run up to 40 tracks at once should you ever need it, and 26 ins and outs as well as the portability of an HD recorder. It will also feel very similar to your existing ADAT rig. I use a very similar setup, but I only use my HD recorder as converters when in the studio, but record to it for outside gigs.

computer = faster....faster = less time.....less time = more productivity.....more productivity = more $.....more $ = more play

itsme1234 said:
computer = faster....faster = less time.....less time = more productivity.....more productivity = more $.....more $ = more play

Actually, you have it all wrong. Computer = slower.... slower = more time...more time = less productivity and less productivity = more $ = more play.

Interesting idea, but I am not looking to get too much new gear. I imagine I can do something with a workable computer and a good soundcard that has at least 2 ADAT lightpipe i/o. I would still use the machines for mobile recording and just back everything up to a hard drive. Are the ADAT converters really that bad?

ADATlove said:
Interesting idea, but I am not looking to get too much new gear. I imagine I can do something with a workable computer and a good soundcard that has at least 2 ADAT lightpipe i/o. I would still use the machines for mobile recording and just back everything up to a hard drive. Are the ADAT converters really that bad?

Your question was: "Drop tape machines for computer system?" :rolleyes: :)
And after a few posts you changed your mind? :)

ADATlove said:
I did this same thing with my DA-88s. I used them as converters for my computer setup. I did that for about 6 months before I just got an interface. Once I got used to the computer, the tape decks just seem so limiting.

New 24 bit converters are so much better than the ones in the ADATs. It isn't even funny.

Farview is right. The old ADAT converters are about as bad as it gets in the pro audio world. This is without even factoring in the fact that they are 16 bit. The Tascam converters in the DA38, 78, and 88 and 98 are much better, but by todays generic standards still pretty poor (when compared to M Audio, Motu etc...). If this was me making a decision, I would make the switch to a computer setup for reliability, cost performance, recallability and flexibility. The myth that working all digital in a computer is faster though is a load of crap. It is just different. It's strengths are the opposite of the analog domain, and it will take a little while to adjust, but it is worth it in my opinion. Analog all the way is still much faster though and feels much better. If you go the HD24 route, you will have a sort of compromise between the two that may help with your adjustments in workflow:)

Yeah, I was hoping to just be able to use the ADATs as converters for a few months just so I can finish projects I've started on tapes and then switch over to an interface. The whole things is pretty confusing to me. The main problem is I want to be able to use all of my existing gear instead of using effects and mixing "in the box." I just want to use the computer for storage and editing. What interfaces will give me 16 analog i/o? I just want to get far away from using ADATs as tape machines because they have recently become very unreliable and I'd rather invest in a more reliable system than service this antiquated gear. I also have a 1/2" analog machine which I'll be using as a front end to the hard disk.

Thanks for all the help.

Back