Drop Outs in PA 9

busted kitty

Help! I'm trying to record as new tune. I've recorded 23 tracks of audio, and now the tune keeps dropping out (on both playback and recording). I've adjusted the buffer to "safe," but it's still doing it. Is there anything else I can do to fix this? I'm bringing a drummer in later, and I know there will be problems making this one work with the program acting like it is.

Any suggestions would be awesome!!!!

You could try bouncing several tracks down into a single track, and then archiving the original tracks. You could also clone any tracks with realtime effects on them, archive the originals and destructively apply the effects to the clone.

The problem with these approaches is that you can no longer make any mixing adjustments to these tracks (which is the reason for keeping the originals - in case you need to go back and make changes).

You could also try raising the buffers in Options > Audio. However, this will increase you latency.

You could also try running the Compact Audio command. That might help as well.

It might be helpful to describe your computer setup. Processor, processor speed, amount of RAM, operating system, type/speed of hard drive, etc. Your processor might not be able to handle that many tracks with effects.

DigitalDon

My computer is a 900Mhz PC. I have 640 Mb of RAM. I'm running Windows ME. I've disabled as many of the multimedia and graphical extras as I could. My sound card is an Ardvark Q10.
Thanks for your help Guys.

Try this. Go to options> audio>Click the advanced tab and look at the I/O buffer settings. The default is 64KB. Try setting it to 128 or 256. If that fails go the other way to 32KB.

23 Tracks Drop Out...

busted kitty said:
My computer is a 900Mhz PC. I have 640 Mb of RAM. I'm running Windows ME.

Dachay and Track gave a very good point. I just add, that running 23 tracks on 900Mhz machine is a heavy task. Even if you get your best tracking result, there would be a lot MORE Drop out problem on mixing ( I think you'll do that also in Cakey, right ? ). Two most common things causing Drop outs were HD speed, and CPU power. HD speed often happens when you're tracking / playback plenty of tracks. (23 is plenty). While CPU power often when you put many plug ins on mixing section latter. Using Windows ME is... okay say it SUCKS. :rolleyes: If you can afford, try using Win98SE, or better yet, WinXP. If your HD's still running on 5400 RPM, then you may consider upgrade to 7200 RPM. ;)

It's weird. I can see that the CPU moves into the "danger" zone during playback. Often it doesn't drop out, but it seems to come darn close. I haven't added any effects at this point.

Does PA9 work with XP?

I know it's neither here nor there but I routinely run way more than twenty-four 24/44.1 tracks on a 700MHz PIII/768m ram in 7200RPM drives with very little problem.

I run CWPA 9.03 in one of my machine running Win XP Home. No problem at all. I don't know why Twelve Tone didn't recommend PA9 on XP, but I have no problem at all. About the CPU, watch for that applications running in background. It could rape your CPU power unrealized. In Cakey, you better recheck any plugins in the console view, on every tracks, buses and master. The CPU problem also can be caused by running DXi / Soft Synth / SoundFonts things. Recheck 'em for sure.... ;)

Oh, yeah, one more thing... I found spliting one long block of audio tracks into few blocks shorter (in some safe point) reduces the HD problem in some degrees... ;)

Back