Drinking Song

I like the song, and can definitely hear it's origins. The guitar sounds 'thumpy" - strumming with thumb?

I like the song, and can definitely hear it's origins. The guitar sounds 'thumpy" - strumming with thumb?

Good ears. Yes. I don’t know how to transition from finger picking from the beginning to strumming. Even with making them separate tracks and takes. I’ll see if I can tone it down a bit but there’s no getting rid of it entirely.

I would experiment with doing separate takes/tracks, cut the unwanted sections, then butt them together at the transition and do some crossfading. Or.. overlap the the tail of the first with the start of the second and give each a gradual fade in/out. It shouldn't have to sound exactly like a single take, should it? Should sound like a second guitarist playing over the tail of the first guitarist as the first fades away.

Well, something like that.. :)

p.s. this song has triggered a small explosion of guitars and melodies in my head.. it's gone all Alt Rock.. :listeningmusic:

I would experiment with doing separate takes/tracks, cut the unwanted sections, then butt them together at the transition and do some crossfading. Or.. overlap the the tail of the first with the start of the second and give each a gradual fade in/out. It shouldn't have to sound exactly like a single take, should it? Should sound like a second guitarist playing over the tail of the first guitarist as the first fades away.

Well, something like that.. :)

p.s. this song has triggered a small explosion of guitars and melodies in my head.. it's gone all Alt Rock.. :listeningmusic:

I’m glad it triggered that explosion! I’m looking forward to hearing your stuff!

I like your voice and melodies again...the rattles and slightly shakey guitar add to the charm of it imo. Drum doesn't work too well and whilst there's no disguising a drum machine on an acoustic track.. i'd stick some reverb on it and perhaps play around with some other effects to give it a bit of earth. I don't have any issue with machines on acoustic tracks but if it's going for the lofi feel, i'd tend to mess the drum up more rather than make any attempt to make it sound real....if you know what i mean

Mark

I like your voice and melodies again...the rattles and slightly shakey guitar add to the charm of it imo. Drum doesn't work too well and whilst there's no disguising a drum machine on an acoustic track.. i'd stick some reverb on it and perhaps play around with some other effects to give it a bit of earth. I don't have any issue with machines on acoustic tracks but if it's going for the lofi feel, i'd tend to mess the drum up more rather than make any attempt to make it sound real....if you know what i mean

Mark

I’ll try it! Thanks!

Cool little tune!

Is that an edit in the guitar track at 4 seconds in? It sounds really jarring.

I like the tone of the acoustic; it sounds very organic. Is there a bass at all? I'm thinking no?

Doubled vocal sounds nice in the chorus. When it split to the harmonies later, though, it sounded a little odd. I'm not sure why, but it didn't really blend as harmony parts; it sounded more like just several individual parts singing different lines at the same time. Maybe it's the panning? I don't know.

Anyway, I know I'm gonna figure out which McCartney song it was that inspired this. It's on the tip of my tongue! (Don't tell me!) :)

Edit: That chorus is incredibly catchy, by the way! :)

Cool little tune!

Is that an edit in the guitar track at 4 seconds in? It sounds really jarring.

I like the tone of the acoustic; it sounds very organic. Is there a bass at all? I'm thinking no?

Doubled vocal sounds nice in the chorus. When it split to the harmonies later, though, it sounded a little odd. I'm not sure why, but it didn't really blend as harmony parts; it sounded more like just several individual parts singing different lines at the same time. Maybe it's the panning? I don't know.

Anyway, I know I'm gonna figure out which McCartney song it was that inspired this. It's on the tip of my tongue! (Don't tell me!) :)

Edit: That chorus is incredibly catchy, by the way! :)

It wasn’t edited in. I just switched too fast :laughings::laughings:

This acoustic is really growing on me. At first I was self conscious of it because it’s a nylon, but it’s got a folk feel to it. It’s a 1910s classical guitar. There is bass in it, but you can’t really hear it for some reason.

Thanks for listening! If you can’t figure all the songs out, let me know and I’ll tell you. There’s 3 Beatles songs, 1 one Paul McCartney song (the heaviest influence) and a Neil Diamond song that influenced this one lmao.

Damnit ... you have to give me a hint on the McCartney one! It's just eluding me.

Before you do, though, let me make sure. The part that's specifically sticking out to me is "...down to the game, and his brothers came ..." (and all the subsequent lines of that phrase).

Is that right? Is that the phrase that's reminiscent of the McCartney song?

Damnit ... you have to give me a hint on the McCartney one! It's just eluding me.

Before you do, though, let me make sure. The part that's specifically sticking out to me is "...down to the game, and his brothers came ..." (and all the subsequent lines of that phrase).

Is that right? Is that the phrase that's reminiscent of the McCartney song?

You’re on the right track. Actually the whole “Devan and his lover going down to the game and his brothers came” is pretty much entirely ripped off melodically, but I think the rest of the song is different enough that it doesn’t matter. It’s in an entirely different key, anyway.

The subsequent line is ripped off from a Beatles song.

Hint: McCartney’s first album.

McCartney was my first instinct, but when I looked through the track listing, nothing rang a bell. I'll have to have a closer look. :)

Great tune, the music matches the lyrics perfectly, the end is especially jolly. Like being in an English Pub. Nice minimalist approach. The doubled vocal is very Lennon McCartney. Very Enjoyable !

Just went through the whole playlist for McCartney on YouTube. (I used to have the album on vinyl, but I can't seem to find it.) I was beginning to think maybe you told me the wrong album. But then .... I heard the first chord of "Teddy Boy," and BAM! It all came to me in the blink of an eye. :)

However, I must admit I'm not sure which Beatles songs you're talking about. And I'm certainly more familiar with the whole Beatles' catalog (probably) than I am with "Teddy Boy." Maybe it's just that the "Teddy Boy" thing hit me so hard that I couldn't think of anything else.

Any hints on those? :)

Just went through the whole playlist for McCartney on YouTube. (I used to have the album on vinyl, but I can't seem to find it.) I was beginning to think maybe you told me the wrong album. But then .... I heard the first chord of "Teddy Boy," and BAM! It all came to me in the blink of an eye. :)

However, I must admit I'm not sure which Beatles songs you're talking about. And I'm certainly more familiar with the whole Beatles' catalog (probably) than I am with "Teddy Boy." Maybe it's just that the "Teddy Boy" thing hit me so hard that I couldn't think of anything else.

Any hints on those? :)

Nice!!!

Well, one of them is Dear Prudence for the guitar. I went back and checked it and it was quite a bit different so I’ll just name that one.

The other big one is “in all the time it took to meet her” in my song is modeled off a song in Revolver.

The ending is based on a song in Yellow Submarine (the album).

Nice!!!

Well, one of them is Dear Prudence for the guitar. I went back and checked it and it was quite a bit different so I’ll just name that one.

The other big one is “in all the time it took to meet her” in my song is modeled off a song in Revolver.

The ending is based on a song in Yellow Submarine (the album).

Ah, ok. I'll have to let the other parts sink in a bit and see if it hits me. I was so fixated on the Macca song that I couldn't think of anything else. :)

Back