dragon???

C-Life

yo dragon, if your out there, or anybody that really knows what their talking about, i need some basic yes or no answer(opinion accepted though)! i been searching all recommended forums here and other recommended sites by senior members and have gotten kind of frustrated with answers that contradict, especially answers that seemed to be basic principle. Anyway, one more time, i would appreciate your answers. this site has been for me the most dependable, so i feel confident in it. im building my home studio on computer. yes. its hiphop, but what ive learned about basic recording seems to all be useful no matter. Well, a mixer was recommended if one was using more than one mic, or other components to record, then a soundcard with 8 or more ins and out is recommended. why would i need that with a mixer? 2.) do i need/want a mixer or not; if so, which one($500/under). i assume all i will be using is 1/2 mics, a keyboard for beats, drum machine, midi and maybe a voice processor, thats all i seem to need(what im told) for my work. some say mixer adds noise or preamps arent sufficient, others disagree, but differ on what brand..............??? so how should i correlate my equipment?? i know so little about recording cause ive been an mc for so long, nothing else in the studio world. so, the majority consensus will determine my decisions. please help

What you need to understand is that you need line level signals into your soundcard. This is why you need a mixer, as each channel on a mixer has a pre amp which amplifies the signal from your microphone up to line level so you can then record to your computer.

HOWEVER, your keyboard, drum machine etc do not need to go thru the mixer as these should already have line level outputs... which means these can get plugged straight into your soundcard.

If you are definately sure you are only ever going to use 1 or 2 mics then I would advise you to not get a mixer, but get a really nice dual channel tube mic pre amp. A tube pre amp will sound a lot better than the pre's on any mixer for the price range you have written.

Good luck

C-Life,

Let me add my two cents. First, I'd like to say that I also do some hip-hop, among other styles. I agree with c7sus, I think that even for your setup you should get a mixer. Mackie mixers are pretty good. Of course, there will be people who say this and that about them, but when it comes down to it, they are very good sounding and flexible mixers. I've used Mackie's with great success.

The Mackie 1202 mixer should be a very good option for you. It has more than enough inputs for your needs now and when you add more stuff, you'll be happy that you got it.

As far as the mics go, get a condensor mic. The Rode NT-1 is about $199 in most places.

You also mentioned a voice processor of some sort. This is where it's optional. For rap, a compressor would be a great thing to have. Compressors, when used right, can make a rap vocal real punchy, aggressive and in your face, especially if the rapper(s) are real high energy. The rappers that I worked with never wanted effects (reverb, etc). So if you used an effects processor, chances are it would be for background vocals or the occasional wild effect. But you really don't NEED Effects to get started.

Here's my Basic Hip-Hop List (for under $600)

1. Mackie 1202 ($329 - free shipping www.bpmmusic.com )
2. Rode NT-1 (~$200 - anywhere)
3. Mic Cables

If you want to spend another $600 and upgrade your soundcard

1. All of the above
2. Event Electronics Gina24 (2in/8out sound card) (~$350) There are quite a few good cards in this range
3. Compressor (~$150)
4. Effects Unit ($100 - $300)

Remember, you can always look out for used stuff if you're on a tight budget.

Rev E

Back