Dr. Z Amps

OverlookFran

does anyone on here own a Dr. Z? i am hearing nothing but good things, and im ready to step it up to Boutique Land. This is a hot topic, that is: the boutique vs. non-boutique argument. many people think you could make a Peavey sound like a matchless with the right tubes and bias. i dont know...ive been playing for a while and I keep thinking im missing tone heaven by not trying. so here i go...
just wondering if anyone has any stories... :D

I don't have a Dr. Z but I have a Budda Superdrive 30 2x12 which is a "boutique" amp. I've owned and played through nice amps many times in the past, but this was the first high-end amp I've owned. Even though it was pricey, I haven't regretted it for one minute.

Having a high-end amp makes all the difference in the world to me. It makes me want to practice because it sounds so good. Then of course there is the pride factor. But it was definately the single best gear purchase I've ever made-- worth every penny.

If you've got the money or can reasonably afford to make payments, I'd say get yourself a boutique amp (not neccessarily a Dr. Z, you should test-drive several). If you are serious about playing gutiar, you need a serious amp.

thses amps are simply stunning. they're made in ohio and are top notch quality and sound. go to his website and you can hear clips. i myself own a rivera which hands down is better in tone imho compared to any fender or marshall currently on the market. i play blues rock (ie black crowes) type stuff.

I dont own a DrZ, but I have played through a Prescription and a Maz18. They are great sounding amps. And they are very reasonably priced I think. Look inside of them and the hand wiring really does look like a work of art. I've been goind back and forth about getting one myself. I probably will end up with one eventually.

H2H

OverlookFran said:
many people think you could make a Peavey sound like a matchless with the right tubes and bias.

Not gonna happen. Circuit layout and lead dress (wiring) play a significant role in the sound.

Back