Downsizing advice

santiu

Rock-scientist
Hey all. So I'm moving overseas, and am looking to downsize my gear for the move. I've got a Motu 828 mkII and a Grove Tubes Brick preamp to sell (and some other odds and ends).

Any suggestions on what to buy to replace it with with the same money (hopefully at least $550)?

I only need 2 inputs now. Size is certainly a consideration (everything I own has to come with me on the plane).

I'm thinking Apogee Duet. Anything else I should give consideration to?

Also, in the market for a new computer. Was planning on just getting a new Macbook, but are there some good reasons to fork over the extra couple hundred to step up to the MBP? Again, just tracking 2 tracks at a time, using Logic. Projects are usually less than 16 tracks.

Oh, and almost forgot. Drum kit isn't coming. Was thinking of getting EZdrummer and a trigger pad as a replacement. Any drummers out there use the korg nano-pad? is it sensitive enough? What would be a step up in feel and sensitivity (finger triggering) that wouldn't break the bank?

thank a bunch in advance!!!

Last edited:
consider the Tascam DR07 Handheld Digital Recorder, very good device for the money, TINY so very easy to take with you. I've used this little guy many times and compared to many different digital recorders, this baby rules! Also, It comes with an internal Mic, that sounds decent :eek: Good luck!

(Also, if you were wanting to spend more money on it for an obvious better device, they have these things up to like $1700!) You can get a fairly nice one for $550.

Zoom H4n handheld. Functions as an independant 4 tracker with 2 onboard mics and 2 XLR/line inputs with phantom power. Records to SD as a standalone or straight into your laptop by USB. It's really good as a stereo recorder with good outboard mics, at 24bit/96khz. You can configure one of the XLR/line ins as a high-z instrument DI with FX, amp models, compression, EQ. It's a perfect travel recorder, headphone amp, and small interface. $270, or $350 with a 16 meg card and all the accessories-Comes with a 1 GB card (you'll need an upgrade on that) mic stand clip, plastic case, wall wart (also runs on batteries or can be USB powered), wind screen. Useful add-ons include a remote control pad and camera style mini-tripod.-Richie

Hey all. So I'm moving overseas, and am looking to downsize my gear for the move. I've got a Motu 828 mkII and a Grove Tubes Brick preamp to sell (and some other odds and ends).

Any suggestions on what to buy to replace it with with the same money (hopefully at least $550)?

I only need 2 inputs now. Size is certainly a consideration (everything I own has to come with me on the plane).

I'm thinking Apogee Duet. Anything else I should give consideration to?

Also, in the market for a new computer. Was planning on just getting a new Macbook, but are there some good reasons to fork over the extra couple hundred to step up to the MBP? Again, just tracking 2 tracks at a time, using Logic. Projects are usually less than 16 tracks.

Oh, and almost forgot. Drum kit isn't coming. Was thinking of getting EZdrummer and a trigger pad as a replacement. Any drummers out there use the korg nano-pad? is it sensitive enough? What would be a step up in feel and sensitivity (finger triggering) that wouldn't break the bank?

thank a bunch in advance!!!

not got many suggestions but im abroad at the moment using a smaller budget...Id suggest looking at the Akia micro equipment...Im using an LPK25 keyboard and its excellent...I can see me using it with my main gear when I get home as a trigger etc...if the pads are anything like the quality of the keys Id seriously consider looking into one before the korg...

why arent you considering Superior drummer over EZ drummer? far more parameters and far better samples...seems you're willing to spend then take second best on drums? I picked up mine for $199, truly excellent prgramme

if you go the zoom route I have an MRT-3 drum machine, solid little thing sounds way better than anything in its price range and it completely integrates with the MRS-4 digital recorder...worth considering

look an artist impression lol

mrt3img.jpg

thanks for the replies guys! I think I'd rather stick with computer based daw right now since i'm bringing a laptop anyways.

kcearl, where did you get superior for so cheap? i was only looking at EZdrummer to save the $150 (i've only seen superior for $300). Didn't realize it's samples were that much better.

Back