Down FLStudio St. Somewhat techno/trance piece

bigbubba

Here's the very first FLStudio track that I did that helped me realize that FLStudio is a fairly complete package in terms of being able to put together entire tracks.

Anyhoo, since there's an FLStudio craze sweeping the forums lately.

This is the first ever track on FLStudio and so might not be very nicely EQ'd.

GGM - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=468820&songID=3717075

Any comments on writing, composing, arrangement, mix is welcome. The song is a hymn as usual so I only had to write backing melodies and intervals.

I think this sounds pretty good, Bubba...nice and full, with some good little intricacies added.

very cool. What's the hymn?

It has a real European sound to it, you hear this kind of music a lot there. The only sound I dont like is the main "string" melody. Might work better if it were more focused. It sounds like a patch that would be used for a backing bed better than a lead. I like all the short, articulate patches and the drums.

Very impressive, I would like to hear any info on how you did it. The one thing I dont like (so far) about FL is automating volumes, are there envelopes like Sonar or does it just record actual "volume knob" movements?? :confused:

DavidK said:
very cool. What's the hymn?

It has a real European sound to it, you hear this kind of music a lot there. The only sound I dont like is the main "string" melody. Might work better if it were more focused. It sounds like a patch that would be used for a backing bed better than a lead. I like all the short, articulate patches and the drums.

Very impressive, I would like to hear any info on how you did it. The one thing I dont like (so far) about FL is automating volumes, are there envelopes like Sonar or does it just record actual "volume knob" movements?? :confused:
David, thanks for listening and commenting. :)

The hymn is an Urdu hymn. It goes like, "Ghar ghar mein...." (hence the GGM). It means "In every home...." Basically the hymn says that we'll preach the Gospel in every home....

I guess it sounds more European 'coz I grew up under primarily European influence listening to a good amount of house, techno, electronic, r&b, rap, and such (not to mention all the guitar driven categories.)

On how I did it: Well, using the Piano roll.... so you can imagine the patience to figure out how to play the melody in correct time using the piano roll. Other than that took me several days to add the little intervals and such.

If you're complaining about FL's lack of volume envelopes, I'm guessing you haven't seen the FL6 yet...???? I only have FL4 registered and only have FL6 demo..... yet! Been thinking about buying it since once you buy online all future upgrades for that package are free. If you buy in a store I think you can buy that option for 20 extra bucks. Anyhoo, in FL6 anything that is automatable can be automated using envelopes. Volumes, chorus settins, tempo, individual effects, and whatnot. Just right-click, select "Create automation clip" and it will show an extra channel in the Step sequencer and can be drawn in the play list in the bottom window. From then on just expand the envelope to the length of intended effect and there you go.

In FL4, I use a cheat. I slow down my tempo to a very slow point where I can smoothly control my volume knob changes. Careful, do this before arming the track or the tempo change will be in the automated recording. Yikes!!!! Yeah good luck finding that place, also.... Anyhoo, then I play and automate the knob changes. Once I'm done I save and unarm and get the tempo back.

Always select an empty pattern when recording the automation and that automation goes to that pattern. This allow to simply remove that pattern from the playlist and remove that automation. This also means you can store individual automations in different patterns and add/remove automations at will. I didn't know that in the beginning and it was annoying to say the very least.

Good luck. :)

Oh which synth was is that you didn't like David. The one that plays throughout playing the melody line. I'll see if I can find another one in the FL pack. :)

Very cool bigbubba. Now that I know the amount of time you spend on these pieces I am even more impressed. Must have taken days to do this one.

Like I said it's very cool. I like the groove and I like all the different melodies/sound effects/patches going on. Cool panning.... It's pretty intricate.... It does have a Euro sound to it that is hypnotic and melodic.

Not like the hymns we sang at RC mass ;) but would have been a lot more fun I'll bet.... ;)

:D :) :D :)

That main string sound is very Eurodisco. It works but you could up the ante with a nicer one.
BB - this is very flash & together for a 1st time - actually delete every thing after together.

Hey Bubba, nice driving deep bass. Sounds great on my system. Keeps driving the tune well.
Overall maybe a bit more high end :confused:
Sounds complex, a lot going on :cool: Here's a minor nitpick... the 2:53 sound got me looking around for my alarm clock. It sticks out of the music a bit and sounds too much like an alarm which I'm sure many people dread. ANyway, love the way the music kicks back in after that. Cool ending too :) :cool:

ido1957 - Thanks for listening and commenting. :) I'm glad you like it. Even tho, it takes day sometimes, it's cooler to do something that has a closer to studio sound than most of my guitar stuff. Plus all the practice makes it faster next time. Or the effect part of it is faster anyway. :)

rayc - Thanks for listening and commenting. I apprciate it. :) OK, so that's two votes for relpacing the melody synth. I'll see if I can find another one. :)

SnakeDog5050 - Hey dude, how you've been? Thanks for listening and commenting. You've been busy lately. :) I guess, the alarm sound can be replaced with a different beep. :) I'll replace that part of it, if I find another.

Interesting. Reminds me of ABBA's instrumental parts in spots. I think the strings on the right could be a little brighter and I agree with Snake about the alarm beeping sound.

Back