Doubling tracking guitars for punk rock?

jmxdrummer

I just wanted to get everyones opinion about doubling tracking guitars in punk rock music. I am currently working on my punk cd but I haven't been to happy with the distortion guitar tracks in my songs. They sound fuller but a little to metal sounding. I usually record once session using two mics (sm57 and at3035), then I adjust the amp settings and record again. *Note* I don't scoop the mids

there is a sample located at
http://www.myspace.com/pc415punk

the guitar sound isn't bad, just a bit dark.

the mid range is really important to guitars, so not scooping the mids is good.

if you find it too "metal" sounding just try turning the distortion down a bit, but failing that probably you'll need a different amp to get what you consider a more "punk" sounding distortion.

the bass and the clean git sound either
a. a bit out of tune
or
b. in need of intonating.

For punk type stuff I'll record 2 takes, one panned left, one panned right. I don't layer them like I would with metal because I prefer punk guitars to have a more stark feel to them than the uber-thick metal sound I go for. But that's just my opinion.

Good call at not scooping the mids. You don't want to do that anywhere really.

I can't comment on the sample as I'm at work right now and can't listen. But maybe more midrange or treble in the guitars, combined with barre chords as opposed to power chords to give it a more loose and -dare I say- jangly feel. Again, I haven't listened to the sample so I'm just guessing based on the differences between the punk and metal sounds I tend to go for. I tend to like punk guitars to be slightly abrasive aswell. As giraffe said, less distortion might help. Try to take the saturation out of the sound of the 1st 2nd and 3rd strings. Again with the 'jangly' thing. Not REM jangly though. You don't want that :p

I'll listen later...and then probably edit my post. :p

sounds great to me, very nice - the clean part is a little thin, I'd like to see more punch to that like a live sound but the dirty part is very cool, very voodoo glow skulls and think you've got moxy and potential!

most importantly I don't think it violates the punk code of ethics. Despite all the talk- there are some serious guitarists and engineers in punk and you shouldn't be afraid to show your skills, Steve jones of the sex pistols knows his stuff and has worked with engineers to get things just right. I could go on but he's a shining example

Distortion guitar sounds just fine. I think the bass is alil bit too much up the front and needs more sustain - but that might be just me.

I don't have time to listen to the tracks right now but sometimes doubling the tracks with a cleaner sound can really help give the guitars more definition.

I'd turn up the treble knob on your amp. It just sounds too dark for the music. And like someone said, try doubling, but not layering. Also, turn the distortion down a bit.

thanks for the feedback. The guitar parts are definitely not layered but rather doubled tracked. I am current working on rerecording the guitar parts with a little more mid and high on the amp.

Once again thank you so much for the feedback.

Back