DOUBLING A LEAD VOCAL

GTRNSAX

I'm recording on a Tascam MSR 24 analog tape machine and have read about artificially doubling a vocal by copying it onto another track and delaying it by about 7 miliseconds. Can anyone tell me how this is done?

just patch the vocal track out into a delay box... set it for 6ms, and record the resulting signal onto a different track.

xxoo

Interesting....

A friend of mine actually sang two tracks in a pro studio vs using the delay approach you mention. He's got excellent control so he was able to do it in just a few takes.

Is the delay a better technique or just easier?

zip >>

the delay technique is a different technique. It sounds totally like a slightly delayed copy, and nothing like a doubled vocal track.

coco

There is a little bit more to it.

* Do you want a slapback effect or a double effect or both.
* How do you pan the delay and source.

In any case a 6ms-7ms isn't really going to make that much of a difference.
A 35 to 41ms delay is a pivot point. Less will be alike a double (try 19-25ms) and more would be alike a short Slapback. A longer (common) slapback goes into a 120-300ms categori

phase problem with short delay

if you clone a track in an attempt to create a doubled feel, then you need to make sure you shift the track by enough time so that it feels doubled and not phase shifted. another way to get that feel with a short delay is to pan the doubled vocal away from the original. this works with doubled guitar tracks as well.

Back