Double Tracking Vocals for effect

Nice tune, vocals are great, really good melodies. Never been much of a trumpet guy myself, always reminds me of my Mum's Herb Albert records, every trumpet riff sounds like Spanish Fly to me.

Double tracked vocals sound good. You can also mess around with the spread, move them apart during the chorus, back to the middle again for the verse etc.

Never been much of a trumpet guy myself, always reminds me of my Mum's Herb Albert records, every trumpet riff sounds like Spanish Fly to me.
Ahem....

Tell me if *this* sounds like Spanish Flea to you. One of the greatest performances by one of the finest trumpet players of all time. The original sounds cleaner than this - unfortunately YouTube's algorithm distorts certain elements of the sound.

Doc Severinsen - A Song For You - YouTube

I thought it sounded good.

I didn't get a big double tracked vocal effect. If you're backing one of the tracks down, I'd nudge it up a bit.

I also thought the mix sounded bit too compressed. It's like the voice/guitar/mando are all "in your face" and it gets to be a bit too much for the listener to take in. I'd somehow try to push the instruments to the background just a bit.

I heard a small pop at 4:37

Nice. What did you record the various elements with? Is that you playing trumpet?

No, not me playing trumpet, I don't think you'd want to hear that. It's a local band I recorded, the trumpet player is a great player is a music student that came in for the session. With the exception of the horn and the vox it was done live. The trumpet was recorded with a SM7 and a Rode TDK as a room turned away from the trumpet and catching the reflection off the wall. Thanks for all the inputs

Hi, I've personally found that double tracking vocals is an effective tool, to the extent I've played around with up to five vocal tracks of the same take which have had different treatments in respect of their sound characteristics. I.E. A couple equalized in different ways, one compressed and so on, it's also useful to pan a couple out a little wide of center to fatten the vocal. The variation in sound characteristics applied to a few tracks is a handy way of pulling the vocal through a busy mix, especially if the music is dynamically rich at similar ranges to the vocal. A mix of stereo and mono vocal tracks are also useful, especially if differing amounts of delay are are applied through reverb. The variations and combinations are limitless but worth tinkering with to get the vocal cutting through the mix.

regards

Tim

you sound a lot like Dave Matthews... which personally im not a fan of... but there are millions of girls that will disagree with me, so take it as a compliment i suppose.

the guitar in the left ear has some annoying tones in there... needs some smarter EQ.

The bottom end of this song sounds really boomy.

Cool trumpet... what do you have on it for effects to make it sound distant? or were you far away from the mic? edit - just read that you had a room mic, and that probably explains it.

if you wanna try some more experimenting ... try triple tracking vocals. take the best take (or splice sections from each take which are the best) and put it front and center... and take the other two and pan one hard left and hard right.

Keep them all dry, no reverb or delay, compression and EQ is ok tho. for the two outside ones... EQ so you cut off anything under 150-200hz... just roll it off there because you dont want the added bass in the voice...

once you've EQ'd them the way you want.. send all 3 to a Bus... once they are all in that bus track, edit it as if it was 1 voice... and there ya have it... a HUGE sounding vocal that sounds like 1 voice to the untrained ear.

Back