Double tracked vocals

+1. I know you said you never go to 100% but it'd be worth trying without any correction at all.
You're a good singer and minute differences are the whole point of double tracking. Anything that diminishes those differences is taking away from the desired effect.

I agree to an extent. you can get away with a fair bit of pitch variations between the 2 tracks, but i always find it's the timing that can make or break the combined effect.

Sloppy timing on double tracks just sounds, well, sloppy.

I always start by tightening the timing up and THEN listen to see if I can get away with the recorded pitch information

There is Vocalign but that is even more expensive. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

If interested you could send me the main track and a doubled track and I could give it a test.

There is Vocalign but that is even more expensive. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

If interested you could send me the main track and a doubled track and I could give it a test.

Hey thanks Jimmy, appreciate the offer. I think I'll just work on better takes for now. Problem is, when I get up to sing, my vision is to complete a full take start to finish so that I get all the possible attempts in. I then go over each line of the song, selecting the best takes. When it comes to the doubled parts, I select the TWO best takes, or the two the gel the best to my ears. If I planned on singing a second day, I could perhaps focus ONLY on singing the double rather than the whole thing. I would be more focused on those parts, then. Unfortunately, I'm pressed for time to sing, so I try to get it all in asap once I have the chance, then later I worry about throwing them together into something listenable. It's a hurried process, singing.

Hey thanks Jimmy, appreciate the offer. I think I'll just work on better takes for now. Problem is, when I get up to sing, my vision is to complete a full take start to finish so that I get all the possible attempts in. I then go over each line of the song, selecting the best takes. When it comes to the doubled parts, I select the TWO best takes, or the two the gel the best to my ears. If I planned on singing a second day, I could perhaps focus ONLY on singing the double rather than the whole thing. I would be more focused on those parts, then. Unfortunately, I'm pressed for time to sing, so I try to get it all in asap once I have the chance, then later I worry about throwing them together into something listenable. It's a hurried process, singing.

If you have to do it like this instead of rehearsing before hand and recording until you get 1 to 3 near-perfect takes, then I suggest doing at least eight hyper-focused takes all the way through (focus on timing and timbre or tone), then going through and selecting the best-performed phrases (occasionally splicing in a word or two that's wonky). Then if you're doubling listen to the tracks again with the main vocal playing and as you said, see which gel best. You can either pan the main and doubled vocal and keep them at roughly the same volume or have the doubled vocals lower in the mix. Compression and delay go a long way here, but so does a little pitch correction - but only if you're in a hurry because honestly it's better just to capture a good performance.

Back