Double snare

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Hmmm... I've seen drummers with 2 floor toms, but recently I've noticed a couple with 2 snares. One had his main snare up close in the traditional location and a 2nd one nearly directly behind the first snare and next to the hi tom. The 2nd snare was pretty much flat like the first one. Then I saw another guy with that same basic configuration but the 2nd snare was tilted up in the back so it was angled at half the angle between the first snare and the hi tom - like 40 °

I had never seen this double snare setup before, so it struck me strange, especially as I saw both in less than a 2 week period for the first time. Out of nowhere...

Most of the guys I know that use two snares have the second one to the left of the hihat. That's where I had mine when I was experimenting with it. Eventually, i realized that iif I had it there, I would write parts that needed it, then I would have to have it all the time...

That's a good spot, to the left. Seems that would make for a more natural reach. As I listen to snares in other bands, unless it's snappy or pops, it kinda starts sounding like another tom. The way some are EQ'd lower, they make a good tom, so sticking one out between the snare and hi tom makes sense to me.

I have 2 snares, a regular wooden 14", and a 10" steel accent snare.
I first had it to the left of the hi-hat mounted on a snare stand.
It is currently mounted on a bracket attached to the hi-hat stand, and situated between the hi-hat and main snare.
Two beautiful floor toms to my right.
I read about a kit at an exhibition made entirely out of snare drums.

I also experimented with a floor tom on the left instead of 2 on the right. I don't like having two floors on the same side.

I finally just settled on one snare, 3 rack Tom's and one floor tom.

As I mentioned before, I tend to view snares as another Tom. I've tried the loud, popping sounds, which work for some things, but more and more I'm moving toward duller thuds.

Back