Double looping the 880EX?

Slater

So here's what I'm trying to do and hopefully someone can give me some advice.
I like to record live so I usually run two vocal mikes and two acoustic guitars directly into a Mackie 1642. I then run 4 direct outs from the Mackie out to the 880EX and
record everything dry. I like to use the Mackie as a pre because it seems to warm the mikes up a bit and also gives me a bit more eq control. Once I record the 4 tracks , I then mix everything down to 2 tracks with effects added.Now here's the part I can't seem to figure out..... I'ed then like to take those 2 finished tracks from the 880Ex and run them back through the Mackie because I have an HHB Fatman tube compressor and also a Lexicon effects unit tied into the Mackie board which really fattens and warms things up really nice . At this point I then run out the main sends from the 880EX into an empty channel on the Mackie (which gives me even more eq control over the total mix), out the control room sends from the Mackie and back into two empty channels on the 880EX.At this point things are really sounding good but what I can't figure out is how to turn off the output on the 2 empty channels I've plugged into on the 880Ex.
Everytime I try to record and turn up the faders to get a level, I just get this horrendous feedback through the whole system because I'm double looping.
Any suggestions would sure be helpfull while I still have some hair left.

Back