Dopey newbie question

Roodboy

Ok here goes another dopey question : If you are using a computer to record with software like n-track or something simlilar, how and where do you connect a microphone? I'm looking on the back of my computer and it sure doesn't have anything remotely resembling a microphone type connection.
Somebody please reply after you're done laughing.
Thanks.

(Welcome to the bbs Roodboy)

It would depend on the soundcard and it's options you have in your pc. Most stock pc's have a 1/8 inch Line Input and a 1/8 inch Mic Input and a 1/8 inch Output. Check back for further responses about what type of upgrade would best suit you, or info on using a mixer via a Stereo RCA to 1/8 cable if possible.

:)

It looks like there are three sound type inputs which currently have a subwoofer, the dopey mic from the computer and my guitarport attached.
I am using a Dell pIII 128mb rem windows 98SE and a montego II turtle bay sound card.
I am a technical cretin and originally thought I would get a MR8 with a DR 3 and Compact flash card reader. But now I'm thinking software may be better.
Any suggestions
PS thanks for the help.

look at yer sound card
the mic input shud hav a red ring
yeps if tis not pro or even semi pro its normal 1/8"
best of luck

i hope ure not looking for a 3 pin XLR female at the ass of yer puter!

(heh ok ok i juss lernt its called XLR too :P )

Roodboy,

I'm hoping that when I post again it will bump your question back up to the top long enough for a few people to see it, because I really don't have enough experience in computer recording, software or soundcard upgrades and/or options to offer any further advice, BUT there are a ton of cool guys (And girls) here that are way dialed in and happy to help.

:)

Here is my advice:

Do some research on your PC. Look in your manual for your sound card, or look it up on the web. See which jack is for a mic input and line in input. Like others have said, it's most likely going to be an 1/8th inch stereo jack.

You can plug a mic into the mic input, but you'll need to make a trip to the store for a couple things. If your mic has an XLR jack, you'll need to purchase a cable that is XLR at one end and 1/4 in jack on the other. I've yet to find a calbe that is XLR-1/8in. Then you'll need to buy an adapter that converts the 1/4in jack to 1/8th inch. You can then plug that into your mic input and record.

The 2nd option is to buy yourself a cheap mixer (Behringer works fine for me). You can use eithe the 1/4in or RCA outs on the mix to go to the line in jack on your PC. You'll need to go and purchase a cable that's either Stereo RCA to 1/8th inch or a Y cable that has to 1/4 inch jacks on one end and an 1/8th inch stero jack on the other. You'll plug the 1/8th inch jack in the line in on your sound card.

Lastly you can look into upgrading your sound card to something that's set up for recording. I've been using a Midiman Audiophile 2496 for over a year, and it's a great card for aboug $130 at newegg.com . This card has RCA jacks for analog input, but it also has S/pdif for a digital signal.

I hope this helps! I'm new to this board, but I've been working with my gear for a year or two now. My best advise is to use google often. The more you learn about your craft, the better you'll be at it.

Back