Doo Wop Accapella

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
OK, I wasn't sure whether to even post this. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea. However, there are enough old farts on this bbs that I figured wtf.

Not really looking for any feedback. This was recorded a few years back, and I'm not planning to revisit it. It was among my very first attempts at home recording and I didn't have much of a clue back then (some might argue I still don't, lol).

Enjoy! (Or not, as the case may be.) :)

Attachments

• Tonight Medley.mp3
    8.6 MB
Alright! That's nothing to be ashamed of. I found it to be very musical. And actually, before I even hit the play button, I was thinking of that very song :listeningmusic:

I love it. I grew up listening to doo wop and pop stuff like BeachBoys, Four Seasons, Coasters, The Imperials and the Drifters. The falsettos were great.

Did you record that on the corner under the street light?🚦

How fun - great to hear your take on a classic song.
Thanks for listening Papanate. It's actually songs (plural). It's a medley of several doo wop songs from the late 50's/early 60's based around the "tonight" theme

For enlightenment:
1. The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Tokens
2. Tonight (Could Be The Night) - The Velvets
3. The Way You Look Tonight - Old Standard
4. Tonight Tonight - The Mello Kings
5. Tonight I Fell In Love - Tokens
6. Tonight's The Night - The Sherilles
7. There's A Moon Out Tonight - The Capris

Really enjoyed that, plus it's really impressive. 'Recorded a few years back' - you doing newer stuff now? And is it doowop?

Really enjoyed that, plus it's really impressive. 'Recorded a few years back' - you doing newer stuff now? And is it doowop?
Thanks for the kind words.

Somewhat of a long story. We started out as an accapella singing group. Mostly doo wop. Over the years, as is the case with most bands, we went through some personnel changes. In broad strokes, we lost some of our singers, and added some instruments. Unfortunately several of the newer musicians don't sing. So these days we are more a band with some harmonies, rather than a singing group. And the repertoire is more "classic rock" than doo wop.

But since you asked :) ... here's another doo wop recording which was done around the same time as the original post.

Attachments

• United In Group Harmony.mp3
    4.6 MB
Wow. That's stunning. If that's not commercial quality, I don't know the difference. I love the sound of that stuff, but you need such an exquisite sense of melody to pull it off, plus good voices. I can't approach it, but I love it. In time, in tune, with feeling, good sound. I'd like to hear what you're doing nowadays. Classic rock is safe, but not as structured as acapella doowop. Point me to something?

Wow. That's stunning. If that's not commercial quality, I don't know the difference. I love the sound of that stuff, but you need such an exquisite sense of melody to pull it off, plus good voices. I can't approach it, but I love it. In time, in tune, with feeling, good sound. I'd like to hear what you're doing nowadays. Classic rock is safe, but not as structured as acapella doowop. Point me to something?
Appreciate the comments. Not sure we're worthy of them, but glad you liked it. (y)

I don't have anything posted anywhere to send you to, so here's an upload of something that kinda represents what we're doing now.

Attachments

• Eye In The Sky 5-21-19.mp3
    8.4 MB
Back