Dont ya just hate it when...

i think most players come across this from time to time. sometimes you come up with a tune, play it to your band and bingo youre off and everyone latches on to it really quickly and one meneber will come uo with a variation that you hadnt considered etc

i think you have two choices: leave it for a while, once youve played it so much you wont forget it, and come back to it from time to time until you find what it is youre looking for,

or present it to someone else you play with and trust and see what they suggest, sometimes they here something in it that you hadnt, or just play it in a slightly different fashion so that their playing comes thru better soundwise than yours did. or youll be less subjective about it because you become removed by one stage letting someone else try it for you

either way dont rush it. we have tunes we recorded the basic track in 10 minutes and some weve been playing for a year and still havent quite finalised it

Believe it or not...

There have been times when I've worked and worked and still haven't come up with anything to make a good idea 'sing' in the "real world"...

So I've (**gasp**) JETISONED IT...

I've found that if I spend too much time (Ie: Months / not a few days or weeks) on a mix that just isn't working - and I delete it - It has a tendency to come back in some other form / or closely paralleled with another tune that crops up...

Of course - That's probably why you haven't heard me on Billboards top 100 of the year either!!

Hope this helps...

Back