Don't Wait (chilled version) SubVibe collab V -REMIX-

mark skinner

Hello , SubVibe and I have done 2 versions of a new song. This is the "chilled" more laid back one featuring piano , synths , and real cellos. This is the 3rd attempt at getting a decent mix/master. Any comments , crits or suggestions will be appreciated. After spending a good bit of time on two versions of this it would be nice to get some fresh ears on this . Thank You .. mark The link now reflects Remix per suggestions .. Thanks !

Last edited:
You have a very interesting voice, an excellent voice. I hear what sounds like lip-smacks / erroneous vocal noise that could be very easily edited out of your tracks. I think it would
help it out. 00:19 and 00:24 for example. Takes little time these days to clean up small imperfections in takes, and clean up noises when there should none.

Reverb could be dialed back a tad. Not a lot, like 5 - 10%. Not sure which track is the most re verbed, but guessing vocals. Enjoyed the tune.

Really good tune, good collab, good performance. My earbuds are hyping the high end of the mix, and stuff like the snare comes across as a bit clicky/hissy. I'll listen through monitors in a bit and report back. Also, there seemed to be a big jump in levels between the intro and the start of the vocals. At first I thought the vocal was too loud, and then I thought naw, the intro's too quiet. But you know, I often come up with nits on a first listen that disappear with a second listen. More anon. I really like the tune and your performance of it. Gold.

Wow! Interesting blend of styles. I found transitions between sections slightly abrupt... not by much, but still (it's something I struggle with myself lol).

Also, the ride cymbal is a bit prominent in general to my ears. And though the 'verb is very much there, I didn't personally find it to be too much for that genre of production.

Will try to give a better listen at some point -- in the meanwhile, great job!

Second listen: It's better through big speakers. No surprise. That hihat or ride is still trebly, but okay. But I wanted to hear more of the backing vocal through both listening devices. What happens to the mix if you drop the main vocal a dB?

Thanks Guys ! I started a remix and then got sidetracked for a couple of days. I'm getting back to it in the morning and will repost a new mix asap. @Eric Malone I'll revisit the main vox for noises etc .. I guess I missed a few spots the first time thru. Thanks .. @dobro I've gone back and forth on the main vox volume several times and have already dropped it some on the remix. I also had problems with the intro vs the 1st verse volume. I ended up automating the main mix up some during the intro. That seemed to help with the transition. I'll take a close look at the snare and cymbal EQ and volume. They are baked in but maybe I can adjust them. @Serendipity Records Thanks for the input , hopefully I'll adress everything. I'm going to try sidechaining the main vox reverb and ducking it. I've been wanting to try that for a while. I appreciate the listen comments and suggestions. Thank You .. mark

I've never ducked anything (except insults), but that idea of ducking the reverb is intriguing. How would it work? When the vocal's a strong signal, it reduces the verb level which then comes back up on the vocal tails? Is that the idea?

@dobro , Yes thats the basics of it. There's a youtuber audio engineer from the UK named "Streaky" that has a good video on it. I believe it is titled "vocal trick they all use" It's a good one as he does some bypassing , so you can Really hear the before and after. He's got a great channel with basic to Way above my head stuff. mark

@dobro , Yes thats the basics of it. There's a youtuber audio engineer from the UK named "Streaky" that has a good video on it. I believe it is titled "vocal trick they all use" It's a good one as he does some bypassing , so you can Really hear the before and after. He's got a great channel with basic to Way above my head stuff. mark
That video popped up many times but I never got around to watch it! Sounds intriguing. Look forward to hearing the results!

The link now reflects a Remix. A good bit of reverb work on the cellos , and lead vocal. Lots of noises removed and mix is a little less crispy. Several tracks were adjusted including the drums. Ducking the reverb was problamatic in this project Alone.. New project , same vox and it works fine ?? I went about it in a completely differend direction. The reverb was baked in , and I couldn't find the exact verb SubVibe used on it. (He's on vacation) I had a dry copy of the vox , so I laid it "under" the vox track and faded all the tails letting more of the reverb track come thru. I think it sounds more up front even with a lower volume. Thanks for your help on this song. I'm going to live with this mix for a while and give my ears a rest . Thanks .. mark

Back