Don't Let the Hard Times Rule You - please critique my mix!

leavings

Hi again all,

yet another mix from the new album (that needs to be done frighteningly soon). I appreciate all your feedback on the mix, arrangement, etc. Is too much happening? Is something missing? Are the levels and balance freaky? Let me know!

Soundcloud below, or click on this link for streaming audio from Reverb Nation.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Great song, great arrangement. The mixing sounds spot on, nothing distracting really. The only thing that bothers me is the main guitar, it seems a bit bottom heavy and rumbling. I keep on wanting to turn up the volume to hear detail.

I'm not sure if that would throw off the mix's balance to shave off that low end, though. It could be reinforced with an acoustic bass pretty nicely.

Very nicely done. Great performances, recordings very clear, mixed to perfection. I would keep the low end of the guitar. I think the song needs it. My only question is when are you doing a show down Portland way, so I can come hear your guys?

Great song, great arrangement. The mixing sounds spot on, nothing distracting really. The only thing that bothers me is the main guitar, it seems a bit bottom heavy and rumbling. I keep on wanting to turn up the volume to hear detail.

I'm not sure if that would throw off the mix's balance to shave off that low end, though. It could be reinforced with an acoustic bass pretty nicely.

I have to laugh at this because you couldn't have picked a better way to tell me that the mix needs some serious work. There actually IS an acoustic bass in there; that's what is making all that low end ruckus. I do think that the guitar is weak in the mids, and maybe just too quiet overall. I'll try to fix that. Thanks for the feedback, and let me know if you think of anything else!

Very nicely done. Great performances, recordings very clear, mixed to perfection. I would keep the low end of the guitar. I think the song needs it. My only question is when are you doing a show down Portland way, so I can come hear your guys?

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you like the song!

I actually have a show in Salem on Friday, August 10th at the Hayloft Concert Series. The girl who sings backup and plays piano on this track will be with me. You should come! If not, I'll also be in Portland on October 8th at Powell's downtown and October 9th at Holocene. Those shows will be with FOUND Magazine. Please introduce yourself if you make it; I have yet to actually meet anyone from this board.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you like the song!

I actually have a show in Salem on Friday, August 10th at the Hayloft Concert Series. The girl who sings backup and plays piano on this track will be with me. You should come! If not, I'll also be in Portland on October 8th at Powell's downtown and October 9th at Holocene. Those shows will be with FOUND Magazine. Please introduce yourself if you make it; I have yet to actually meet anyone from this board.
Fantastic! I live in Salem. I'll make every effort to make it.

Imo, the Guitar was just fine...for the musical style I wouldn't have made the guitar any louder. I could hear of it what I needed to hear of it. Any more would have destracted me away from the vocals. It was perfect in my opinion. I can't really comment on the bass because I listened to it on small speakers. But, if you don't like the bass, the issue may not be the mix. It might have just been the wrong rythmn for the bass. I often think the mix is off with my bass, then I change the rythm to match the song better and it makes all the difference. Others here obviously heard the bass it just sounded muddled to them. I could be wrong, like I said I didn't have the right speakers to know for sure, but its worth looking into. If you are ever in the Midwest, southern Missouri actually, I would deffinately come see you. I really like this song.

Peace

Thanks Bryan,

I did feel like the bass and guitar were a little too indistinct. I boosted the mids and cut the lows in the guitar slightly, and I think it sounds better. I also took the harmonica volume down a little. I'll post a remix soon.

As for shows in your area, this fall I'll be playing in a circle around southern Missouri. I'll be in Tulsa, KC, Saint Louis, Columbia, and Batesville, Arkansas. Are any of those near you?

Cheers!

I just posted a new mix (updated on both Soundcloud and Reverb Nation). I boosted the mids in the guitar slightly, and took down the lows to try and isolate it from the upright bass. I also tweaked the harmonica and vocal volumes in a few spots where I thought levels were uneven. Let me know if you hear anything else that I should modify!

Back