Dongles - why do they bother?

Halion

I just don't get it. There is not a single piece of dongle protected software that I know of, that hasn't been cracked. The latest Cubase has been cracked. All of the Waves stuff has been cracked. All the east/west libraries have been, aswell as Logic and so on and so on.

So what I don't get is why do they even go the route even though they could cut costs by simply omitting the dongle, and cut actual customer anoyance because they no longer have to use 3 USB hubs just to use their software.

The only succesfull way of protecting software that I know of, is by leaving parts of the software on a company server, and forcing a connection with that server, autherized by a keynumber, every time the software is run (like how it's been done with online games, that simply won't run offline).

Well that'd turn into a nightmare. Everytime my wireless connection on my laptop gets enabled, my Firewire 410 freaks out and turns into a jarbled mess. I guess there's probably a better idea out there somewhere over the dongle, but I don't know what it would be...maybe a program that required the CD to start?

I wish I knew how they do all that cracking though...you'd think the top paid minds in the software piracy protection world could out smart the unpaid hobbyist. I mean seriously, a virtual dongle?

How do these crackers (and I don't mean it like rawjaw) make a living?

I don't get it. Every kind of car has been stolen. Why do they even have keys or locks on the doors? Car companies should just leave the doors open and have a big red button to start the engine.

Well, locks on cars protect the owner of the car, not the manufacturer.
Dongles protect the manufacturer of the software, not the owner.
The only way to prevent the cracking of software, is by coupling the software
to a piece of hardware like a audio card or somtething.

Yeah, but that's why I have insurance. I mean, why should I have to put the key in the ignition every time I want to drive? It's such a nuisance. People are going to steal cars anyway. Why should we try to stop them?

halion's point wasn't that software writers shouldn't protect their programs, but more why do they bother with a means of protection that seems to be ineffective.

i can't take to the idea of having to connect to a server every time i want to use a piece of software. a) i want to keep my music system away from the internet, and b) i don't want to depend on a connection before i can use it, and c) it could run up pretty expensive

scrubs said:
I don't get it. Every kind of car has been stolen. Why do they even have keys or locks on the doors? Car companies should just leave the doors open and have a big red button to start the engine.

Yeah, Toyota agrees with you. No key for the 05 Avalon Limited, just push button start.

I think the difference in people's minds on pirating software is two fold really...1: its not called stealing, its called pirating and 2: if you steal a car, the owner misses the car, if you pirate software, the "owner" never really knows its gone. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying...

Now, onto the dongle, I don't have a problem with the dongle, other than...the company when you register that dongle should provide you reassurance that if something happens to it, they'll replace it...instead of making you buy a new one...I'm sure there's a way to protect that stolen dongle like they can zap pirated Direct Tv Card. Our computers from work have a feature that if you don't put in the correct password, when a thief attempts to get online, it actually calls the authorities. Face it, the first thing someone who steals a PC is wanting to do is get online...they aren't getting it for Word and Paintbrush.

Based on your cars to software argument, I suppose if I lose my keys I should have to just suck it up and buy a new car.

I'm all for the dongle, just offer people replacements if they lose/break/get it stolen/it wears out, etc.

sixways said:
Based on your cars to software argument

Mr Barnard: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
Man: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
Mr Barnard: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor. :D

I think he is suggesting something like ProTools or the UAD-1 card.

Really, it IS the only way it can happen. You cannot use ProTools without a ProTools soundcard. You can use UAD plugin's without a UAD-1 card.

Ford Van said:
They can takes those dongles and stick them up their asses! I WILL NOT USE ONE.

I guess you'll be using solely Cubasis or N-track in a matter of time then.

What is the big freakin deal??

scrubs said:
Mr Barnard: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
Man: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
Mr Barnard: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor. :D

Not meant to sound like an attack Scrubs, my apologies if it did.

Dongles are evil.

You should NOT have to pay MORE money to use software you bought. They, pay again if the dongle breaks?

Give me a break.

fraserhutch said:
Such as a dongle, perhaps?

But the dongle has no inherent value. The UAD-1 plugs kick ass, and the card gives you processing power. It's a good deal.

The software manufacturers could use activation to achieve the same level of security. It can still be cracked, but would discourage the average user from passing out their CD to friends. That's pretty much all a dongle does.

Am I misinformed that the dongle is free? Are we all talking about the iLok stuff for the Digi stuff?

I'd rather have a free dongle than a $1200 card...just me I guess.

mshilarious said:
But the dongle has no inherent value. The UAD-1 plugs kick ass, and the card gives you processing power. It's a good deal.

The software manufacturers could use activation to achieve the same level of security. It can still be cracked, but would discourage the average user from passing out their CD to friends. That's pretty much all a dongle does.

My reply to the OP weas tongue in cheek. I am not a fan of dongles, but being in the software industry myself, and in particular after observing first hand the attitudes of many musicians wrt piracy, I can in no way find fault with a company for wanting to protect their investment.

That said, I believe they should replace the dongle if it is damaged. I am not so clear about it should you lose the dongle - who is to say that you aren't doling them out to your buddies? That would totally defeat the purpose of the dongles in the first place.

You don't like using dongles? Vote with your pocketbook and don't buy the software.

Back