Domain name question

glynb

Balladeer
For those who have been through this...
1. Where is the 'best' place to buy a domain name for a music web site; ie value for money, owning outright, etc. Can anyone recomend some sites?

2. Is it worth paying for private registration so people can't find your home address on the web?

3. What's the best name extension to get for an artist's music site eg .net, .com., .bz, .co.uk etc?

4. If you had the money would you always buy up the .COM if it's avaialble, even if you decide to use the .NET extension mainly or is it best not to be greedy?

5. Any other tips on domain names in general? I already know to avoid hyphens ( - www.blah-blah.net) as it's difficult to read out on stage without people getting confused about what a hyphen is (already made that mistake with my band site!)

Any advice welcome please....

use godaddy.com. It is by far the cheapest I have seen. Most names are under $10 a year. I think .com followed by .net are the most popular. You can get all the .whatever extensions there. I don't think it is worth it to pay not to have the public listing.

I agree with using godaddy... they're worth every penny.

I do disagree with not going private though... I used to be the general manager for a web design company and we specialized in getting traffic to the site... once your site has caught some attention you'll be surprised at how much junk snail-mail will show up at your door (we lost a few of our earlier clients because of this... they got spammed in snail mail).

If you don't want to spent the money on going private, then visit your local post office and see about renting a PO Box (I think they're around $50.00 for the year...

Comes in handy for a few purposes:

1) Provides a place for all your "junk" mail to land.

2) Provides a seperate mailing address for your business (ie: you don't have solicitors showing up at your door trying to sell you stuff you really don't want/need)

3) If you're music website is a big success and you gain some acclaim in the local area... it'll keep any potential "groopies" (read as "stalkers") from showing up on your doorstep...

... hey... it "could" happen. :D :D :D :D :D

- Tanlith -

Let me jump on the godaddy bandwagon. I bought my site there and spent half of what I had expected. Go for the .com if it's available. That suffix has become the icon of the internet address, and I think it will be more easily identifiable. Of course, if you're trying to cover the board you could purchase several of them (that way people would still find their way to your site if they entered the suffix incorrectly).

Im in the Go Daddy Line

Then I go to the http://www.netfirms.com/ place to build a home.
Free with a banner or $60.00 per year without.
I love the......... pick_anything_you_want@your_name.com
Everyone in the band gets there own email along with there pets and cousins.......you get the idea.
With the $60.00 package you also get a great way of checking your hits and finding out where they are coming from without having to deal with anyone else.

Thanks

Thanks to all for the help. I will check out Go Daddy (I'm in the UK but it probabably won't make any difference).

I take it most of you agree that to go for the .COM (if available) is the best option, even though its a music site?

Back