Does this sound good? (metal Mix)

Meh, it's okay. It lacks low end power. The drums sound kind of ridiculous. Chill out on the double kick programming. I think it's a little overdone. You can hear the kick, but you can't feel it - if that makes sense. The bass guitar is kind of muddy. The guitars sound pretty good for the style. Overall, I'd say it's not bad, but it's pretty far from being a face melting metal mix.

My ears tell me the guitars rock pretty well. The drum sound in and of itself, I don't think is bad. There is no groove to the song at all, in my estimation. Maybe I just couldn't feel the pocket, or maybe there wasn't one, anyway... The drum beat and the guitar beat don't match up well, as far as I can tell.

I couldn't tell if there was a bass guitar or not. If there was, it definitely wasn't emphasized enough.

I really liked the guitar crunching, though. Great guitar sound.

I don't know if my opinion counts for anything, but here's what I think:

I usually listen to a lot of melodic and heavy metal, and I think that there's too much treble in the kick, or some bass missing, and punch. If you're using sampler, try also chosing a different kind of kick. The guitar is fine, although it's using too much low, making the bass guitar (is there any?) disappear. I would try to cut some frequency in the guitar, so that the bass could be more expressive, and turning up its volume.

But the song is good, heavy and interesting.

Last edited:
Good song in all but the drums really do sound fake and unrealistic. Change the drum sound or find a drummer to do the song the way it should be done. Good start.

If you know the speakers & room then you should be able to do an OK job - if you don't - then you need to spend time getting to know the combo.
The bass drum sounds like (here I go again) someone tapping the foil seal on a can of MILO.
The bass may as well be a synth drone as it doesn't really have a place in the mix - it needs definition - if nothing else a 5dB peak at 3Khz.
The cymbals go OT a bit too often.
Overall this isn't too bad a mix - just some stuff to fix.

I think you're wasting your obvious talent with sony hi fi speakers.....even my shit monitors could pick the lack of bass (and I struggle noticing that with my own stuff)...you have good composition skills, it sounds a good song played and recorded really well...good job

Now I'm very much an amateur...only getting my third recording up and running but I think I've mucked about with SD2 a bit..so here's a few pointers for a better sounding metal style that I've picked up from articles

-turn of the bleed on the kick, snare and tom channels
-open the overhead channel and set it to pick up only the cymbals bleed

should make everything clean and separated

-on the top snare mics use the preset Shotgun...this gives you a hard mid range punch
-on the bottom snare mic use the preset Rattle..brings out the snares wires
-route the Toms to a bus and use the Swedish Meatball preset.
- give the overheads, a 5hz boost, 2.5.1 compression with fast attack and a medium release, and a bass cut
- next on the Amb Far room mic track switch the cymbals off in the bleed panel and turn the kick down 6db (stops boom) then use the transient shaper to suppress the attack and boost the sustain..set the channel just loud enough to make a difference

Now this isn't to say I'm any good mixing drums, in fact I'm pretty awful..but this does make them sound real good :)

Last edited:
I liked the song - kind of has the understated Tool intensity going on - the guitars sound very good. I've got my subwoofer turned way up, and it seemed like there was just enough bass, so that might mean there's still not enough. Arrangement-wise, the transition back to the mellow guitar at the end was maybe a little abrupt.

I'm too lazy to focus long enough to tell whether/how far your guitar is drop tuned - it is, right? I couldn't make out the difference between a bass guitar and the low guitar chugs, but maybe they're supposed to form one sound.

The kick drum sound was OK, but all the perfect fluttering it does kind of whispers 'fake' - how important is all that? I felt like I wanted to hear fewer kicks.

(btw, people don't pick at songs here unless they're good :D)

As a song, I really liked this. The guitars could use less highs and probably less gain but only by a hair. The kick sounds really weak. It has good attack but no boom. The clean guitars need to have more low end and as they are now, it kind of sounds like they're being played over the phone. Hope I wasn't too harsh.

Back