Does this sound better? Real drum samples!!

moptop

It was suggested that I redo this using some real sounding drum samples.

Please let me know what you think, better or worse!

Thanks

It sounds okay to me, although I didn't listen with headphones yet, just my laptop's speakers. Also, I'm not a drummer, so I might not be near as picky about it as a drummer might be.

Better or worse than what? I guess I need to look for your original version to compare this with it. Anyway, I thought the song was a catchy little pop ditty. :)

Not too crazy about that splash. Otherwise, drums don't sound bad from what I can hear but they are pretty low in your mix. Bass is too loud in my opinion.

Made some more changes!

I went back and did another re-mix and added some harmony.

Is this better or worse?

Thanks

like robust said, the drums are way low in the mix. It's hard to tell exactly how they sound.

The 7-7 final1 mix is clear. The kick is good, the snare has a nice snap, but it's a bit quiet in the mix. The ride is very nice, but it def sounds digital (the same exact sound on each hit). The cymbal on the left is quite bright. A bit of over use of the china (or what sounds like a china). More traditional crashes might do you better. Not much toms in the mix, but they sounded realistic. I like that your panning is not 100%. Nothing quite so annoying as a cymbal or tom that's completely in one speaker...:) Can't tell you about how your hihat sample sounds though :D

Yeah I think this is a definite improvement mop top. There's still that whip crack though that sounds odd. Is it a cymbal? Really like the xylophone/guitar pairing. Harmony is nice, feels like it fills up the sound (not sure how to say it really but I think you know what I mean.)

There's still that whip crack though that sounds odd. Is it a cymbal?

Yes, it's actually a double cymbal hit, one right after other, and I do kinda over use it but it sounds so cool. "Whip crack" is a good way to describe it. Like the sound in the Zombies song Time of the season. There are a couple of cymbal hits that I do need to edit. Drums are hard to do when you have to plan the whole track out before you start recording any of the other tracks. I build my drum tracks from scratch not using any loops. The programs I use are old and out of date and have limited features and I am sure there are way better one's out there now but I hate to change since I know these inside and out. Learning a new program doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Thanks all for your input. You've reinforced some things I already knew that needed attention and pointed out some that I didn't notice myself.

Last edited:
those cymbals...

the harmonies fill everything out much nicer than the original, IMO. a lot better with those in there

Back