Does this make sense?

oneArtist

I have: Rode NTK mics, Presonus MP20 and Joe MeekVC3 pres, TM-D1000 Digital Mixer(replacing)Fostex D824HDR, soon to arrive - Multiface/PCI, Samplitude and Emagic software.
Would it be a good idea to go from pres> good analog mixer- like Allen & Heath Wiz16>unbal ins of D824(good converters) >ADAT > Multiface
OR go from pres >ADI-8 AE or DS AD/DA Converters(don't own now) >D824>Multiface.
OR from Rode NTKs directly to ADI 96 PRO - high quality pre/DSP/converter(117db SN)?
Do many people here use RME converters with Multiface?
Thanks in advance,
Chuck

I don't understand why you have so many recorders and interfaces in the chains.

The most you should have in the chain is Mic- Preamp- Convertor-Recorder.

Tex,
I don't really have a lot of recorders. The Multiface is an interface box that has 8 bal analog I/O, 8 chs ADAT litepipe, and SPDIF I/O. It is just an extention of the PCI sound card. They are connected with firewire with RME protocol. The ADAT I have listed is confusing and looks like I have an ADAT recorder. ADAT is just the litepipe cable from the Fostex HDR to the ADAT input of the interface. I also use the HDR for easy setup remote recording at concerts etc. It can also be used as a simutaneous backup recording or a mixdown recording. Another nice thing about the D824 is that it's like using a tape recorder. It always works and never crashes and it has high quality converters. I plan to convert analog in the D824, pass 8 channels of ADAT thru the Multiface into the DAW from ADAT out in the TMD mixer for headphone monitoring.
It's good to pass info on in these forums and learn and share things that work and think about what might work.
The reason I choose RME is because I've never read about anyone having trouble with it, like I did with Pulsar 1/emagic/Athlon.
Thanks for any input,
Chuck

Sounds like you'll allready have a bunch of converters -in the mulitface, the fostex, (and the mixer?).
Not sure why you would put the fostex inbetween an ADI-8 and the multiface in that scenario. Are you looking for different quality, more flexibiltiy?
I use ADI-8 and DS (into a Dakota). They are certainly very flexible and good soudning. The 'copy' mode (passes light pipe or TDIF through for routing) and the duplicate adat in-out's are also very handy at times.
Wayne

mixsit,

You are right. It would be stupid to go thru any converter in front of ADI-8 DS or AE. I don't own an ADI converter the () above indicated that but it was easy to miss. The best system I could get would be to combine an ADI-8 AE(can't afford a DS) with Multiface(Multiface converters are not as good as ADI), and go directly into ADI with the best pres I can afford and use the analog ins of Multiface for 8 more inputs. Then, I would just use the TMD1000 for monitoring and the D824 HDR for backup recording from ADAT out from Multiface.
Why did you choose Dakota over Multiface?
Where is the best place to get ADI-8 AE?

Chuck

Back