Does this exist??

TaxMan88

Is there a sort of "virtual effects unit" out there that supports VST and DirectX plugins? Here's what I'm thinking: :confused:

This would be a program that you could sync up to another program such as a multitrack recording program. It would be a stand alone program, but would work in conjunction with the program you're tracking in. Say for instance you're using a multitracker that doesn't support plugins, you could sync the "virtual effects unit" up to your multitracker software and export the track you'd like to add effects to. Then, when you playback on the multitracker, the "virtual effects unit" would play back as well, but WITH the effect on the track you sent so that you can get a real time indication as to what it sounds like?? Then, once you're happy with the effects you've applied, send the track BACK to the multitracker and you've got happiness.

I'm sure this has got to exist out there SOMEWHERE! Someone please enlighten me on this one.

--Tax :D

What program are you using? It sounds to me like you want real time effects. Cakewalk, Cubase, Nuendo, Vegas, Logic, N-Track all can do this.

Aah, herein lies the quandary

Emeric, good to hear from you.

I'm using an old program that doesn't support plugins. It may sound lazy, but I already know the "ins and outs" (no pun intended) of this program and I can use it well. I feel that I would be setting myself back by learning a new program right now. I have n-track and I don't like the layout of it very much. As for all of the other programs you mentioned, they all cost WAY too much for my budget. This is not me being a tightwad, this is simply NOT HAVING THE FUNDS for that kind of software.

That's why I'm looking for a companion program that can do what I want. I guessed it probably wouldn't be as easy as I'd hoped it would be. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and learn n-track.

--Tax :(

Yep. Learn N-Track. You will not find a backward compatible program like your seeking. N-Track can't be that bad, I tried it for a bit, but couldn't get it to run stable. What are you using, Digital Orchestrator or something? It really doesn't take 'that' long to learn a program, but I know what you mean.

You hit the nail on the head

That's exactly what I'm using. I love the ease of use and for editing I honestly haven't seen anything easier. That's another thing that bugs me about n-track. You've got to launch an external wave editor to graphically edit. BIG MINUS IN MY BOOK! But as I said, I suppose I'm going to have to get outside of my comfort zone and learn n-track. :rolleyes:

But I don't have to like it. ;)

--Tax

Check out the RT.FX program from FXpansion
http://www.fxpansion.com/

Its designed to be a stand alone VST/DX effects and soft synth host, so you could route audio into it from any program or use it as a standl alone synth/effects processor - run it on a seperate PC even :)

Cool idea, but no finished yet, apparently they are integrating a whole new load of standards and tarting it up a bit - expect it in the autumn

Cheers
Robin
http://www.pc-music.com

PT

I dont know much about plugins but Powertracks pro audio 7 uses directx plugins.
Its supposed to be able to do 48 tracks of audio plus midi. I have the ntrack demo
but dont do much with it. I dont have PT 7 so I dont know how well it performs.
At $29.00 you wouldnt lose much money to try it out.
http://www.pgmusic.com/

Duck

Back