Does this cable work?

eternalpayn

Firstly, I'd like to say, if I sound like I don't really know what I'm talking about, it's because I don't. :P

I've got a cheap little Behringer mixer (602a) shipping in, and I plan on doing some recording. I've done a little bit with some ghetto ass setups before, and the band I'm playing with plays a lot better together than they do separate. However, we would still like to master the music and whatnot. We're thinking of having a set-up using 2 computers with audacity running on each of them. One computer recording guitar, with the other recording bass and drums at the same time. However, because we don't want the bass distortion on the drums, we want to record them onto 2 separate tracks simultaneously. I was thinking that a headphone splitter (I can't link it because I haven't made enough posts yet, but googling monster musicshare radioshack has it show up on top) might do the trick if I pan drums and bass to opposite sides, and record in stereo. I don't know much about cables though, and this one is supposed to be for output. My question is, will it work in reverse as I described?
Thanks a ton!

The answer to your question is yes. It will work to send two separate mono signals into one stereo one. I've been thinking of doing the same thing because I'm still in the dark ages of 1 stereo line in input on a soundcard.

Man I doesn't make sense to me why on earth do you want to record your stuff on two computers. As you might know, latency is a common issue when recording in one computer. Now, unless you have two clone computers, performance is gonna be very different and you may experiment issues with syncing and stuff like that.

My advice is that you record bass directly using a direct box (Boss has a nice Direct box that you can use also for guitars) The bassist might use headphones to hear what he is playing. All members can be in the same room with the amps in another space so you can isolate noises and frequencies from the drums. It gives you space for better miking your kit.

Good luck.

Cash is quite the issue in this situation. I've recorded on both computers before, and haven't experienced any latency on either one. Plus one is a laptop, which hardly takes up any space. If anything, we might just end up recording 2 tracks at a time, not sure yet. Does anyone know of any programs that let me record from multiple lines at a time for the PC?

Edit: Bolded it for emphasis. That kinda software is out of the question :P. Was kinda hoping there was something freeware or less than 30-ish that would do it.

Problem is recording software is not that cheap. You might be tempted to spend 75 bucks on Sony Acid but don't do that... it's an OK software but I strongly recommend you to wait and save a little more to afford a more standard program. If you buy ProTools you can take the files to any major studio without problems and then return to your house and still will be compatible. Thats a good thing you should consider.

In my particular case I "record" MIDI drums on my computer, then carry on that session to a studio where I record the guitars. Then I edit the tracks in my computer. I'm gonna take my session again to the studio to record vocals. As you can see, I can do that in a smooth way.

Here's some prices of the most popular softwares:

Best for the budget: Interface + ProTools LE
Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini
$295.00

Digidesign Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4
$249.00

Apple Logic Express 8
$199.00

Steinberg Cubase Essential 4
$149.99

Good luck and keep recording!

Thanks a ton, I appreciate that. I don't know why, but I've always associated pro tools with being several thousand dollars. Now I've got something to save for :)

There's Pro Tools for any budget. You can have the LE version for less than 300 bucks but if you have a thick wallet your choice must be the Digidesign Digi 003 Rack factory interface (About 1200 bucks) Check all the models and prices in the Musicians Friend website. :D

478456.jpg

Isn't it sweet? *drolling*

Last edited:
Back