Does the Alesis Micron sound exactly as the Ion ???

crgl

I know the Micron doesn't have the knobs for tweaking instantly but I would like to know if they are edited the same way .

Since the programs from the Ion can be transferred to the Micron... is there something lost in the conversion ???

The exact same synthesis engine, but the Micron adds an arpeggiator which the Ion doesn't have. It also has a 'real' FX section, meaning delay and reverb are added to the modulation FX on the Ion.

I'm buying one just as soon as I can scrape 40,000 pennies together...

ssscientist said:
The exact same synthesis engine, but the Micron adds an arpeggiator which the Ion doesn't have. It also has a 'real' FX section, meaning delay and reverb are added to the modulation FX on the Ion.

I'm buying one just as soon as I can scrape 40,000 pennies together...
Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your comments.

I have not had any experience with analog or virtual analog keyboards, I had tested ( mainly played through the presets ) Korg MS2000 and Novation X-Station buy didn't have the time to really use them.

The Korg sounded awsome, and the Novation sounded great and really impressed me being mainly a controller.

Do you think the Micron can sound as these keyboards ?

I am not interested in the Vocoder so don't take that into consideration.

Absolutely!!!
Any one of those are top notch Virtual analogs (Without stepping into the Microwave/Supernova price range). I think personally the Ion/Micron is superior in many ways. It hands down spanks the MS2000, not so much so against the K-Station though. The MS2000 does have the better vocoder, but if that's not a consideration...

Furthermore, the Micron can load any Ion program too.

Where the micron does pale in comparison, is in the lack of knobs. Primarily you edit the Micron via menus. The Ion can be edited the same way, but obviously can be edited much more intuitively due to its hands-on interface, which often leads to more natural sounding patches I think (When I edit via menus, my programs often lack that randomness that often makes the difference between a good patch, and a great patch. I attribute it to the fact that entering values numerically, as opposed to entering values by what your ears hear, results in a far more calculated sound).

Yeah the Micron's engine is a little more sophisticated than the Ion's, but I would say, save up and by the Ion (more keys/knobs), and invest in a nice dedicated FX-box if you wish. Or go with the a KS4 or KS5. Novations are excellent, but I do feel that of all the VA's, the Novation K's and Supernova's feature the worst core sounds (Programs that have had all their FX stripped off), but they have some of the best FX of any synth out there, to compensate for it. And they do sound liquid like...Smooth As Silk...

another option to free up your ability to edit the board would be to take a look into the software that emagic used to put out, if you can find it---called soundiver... i believe that you can still purchase it for pc from guitar center, although my information may be dated.... If they have an update for the Ion for that particular software...

just something you might want to check into--it would make editing a lot easier...

Back