Does Sonar and Protools work together

Flash

I have an ol' music bud that's wanting to get into recording on the computer. He has some people telling him to get Protools and I'm recommending Sonar. My question is, if he goes with Protools can we still swap songs and add our own tracks back and forth. Thanks for any info............

OMF is the file format which is common between PT and Sonar. I don't use it but reports I have read here and there indicate reasonable operation with the odd weird thing happening here and there.

Essentially, you should get the track and the data but anything else can be a variable proposition.

Do a search on this forum and send off some PM's to people who are using similar configs maybe...

Ciao,

Q.

Bear in mind, though, that OMF is only going to export the audio tracks...and it will place them in the correct time stamped location. No midi, no plug ins, and no other Sonar settings will transfer.

Kev.

If you're gonna export OMF files be sure you apply any effects to your sonar files that you are sure will be permanent so as not to duplicate effort....ie...if you run antares auto-tuner...go ahead and apply it to permanenlty change the audio clip as it is rare you will tweak it once you have a good setting. IMHO same could go for compression on bass tracks. Just keep in mind what plug-ins are available on both set-ups you will be using.

i'd be wary of this.

i have a digi001 and use sonar. (partly because i didn't like the protools interface, partly because getting protools to run well on my system was an ordeal). And i'd recommend against usnig the digi with sonar. unless of course, you're willing to get two interfaces.

Basically, the digi001 doesn't work very well with sonar. it has asio drivers, but the kids at digidesign obviously put a lot more effort into drivers for their own software.

I'm trading teh digi in for a firewire 410 or audiophile very soon.

Back