Does Cubase have a MIDI channel selector for the Input Router?

SeaGtGruff

I've just installed the free 30-day trial for Cubase Elements 8 and am already stumped trying to do something that should be simple:

- Add several MIDI tracks in a new project. (Done)
- Select a MIDI keyboard in the Input Router of each track. (Done)
- Specify which MIDI channel to record in each track. (????)

There's a MIDI channel selector for each track, but it's under the track's Output Router and is for the MIDI-Out channel. I can't find a MIDI channel selector for the Input Router. Is there such a thing? Other DAWs have this, doesn't Cubase?

The issue is that the keyboard sends MIDI data on several channels at once-- e.g., splits and layers, not to mention any auto-accompaniment channels. I want to record each MIDI-In channel on its own separate track, not record all 16 channels combined together on each track.

Thank you. I found a post in another forum that gave the same solution, but as far as I can tell the Input Transformer isn't included in Cubase Elements. Unbelievable. :(

I would imagine, input is all channels. Can't imagine for the most part, why you would need input channel except for live work. 99% of the time it is MIDI information to capture a part. Output I understand, as you could possible want each track to drive a particular outboard gear for actual recording. I wouldn't think it would be a show stopper for most recording scenarios.

Here's how I see it...

Say you want to record three vocalists (lead and harmonies), two guitars (lead and rhythm), a bass guitar, three keyboards (electric piano, organ, and synth), and a drum set-- you know, a band. You'd want to record everything to just one track, right? Because it's so much simpler to work with just a single track, and why would you want to manipulate the sound from any of those sound sources on an individual basis, right? Yes?

No?

Now say you want to record yourself playing a multitimbral keyboard that can do a two-layer righthand sound, an extra righthand sound, a separate lefthand sound, auto-accompaniment consisting of eight parts-- rhythm, subrhythm, bass, chords 1, chords 2, pad, phrases 1, and phrases 2-- plus four multipads for triggering musical phrases in four more parts (one part per multipad). Why wouldn't you want to record yourself playing the keyboard and have all 16 channels going into a single track? I mean, it's going to be so much more convenient to edit each part when all of the notes and velocities, not to mention any control changes associated with each part, are all glopped together on top of each other in a single track, right?

If I understand you right, that is what I stated, from the keyboard, input being All channels, which I would assume is the default since this would be the most common. But let's say you could only pick one, then from the keyboards, all sources are channel 1, same result.

What I understood from your post was each part being routed per channel to a track. Which I could see also being a scenario, just not typical.

Maybe I am too dense to understand.

There is value in being able to specify tracks to receive specific midi channels, and in fact, Reaper lets you do this very easily.

But maybe there is another way round it. Logic 5.1 (the last PC version before going to Apple-only) allowed you to demix a midi file by channel. Maybe this feature is available in Cubase.

Yeah, Acoustica Mixcraft-- currently my main go-to DAW-- handles it very easily as well. So does Ableton Live. Of the various DAWs I've used, I can't think of any (besides Cubase) that don't. And as for Cubase, there may even be benefits to the way it handles this. I'm just floored by the idea that this functionality-- so basic that free DAWs have it-- has been implemented in Cubase with a feature that's not included in the least-expensive edition of Cubase.

But maybe there is another way round it. Logic 5.1 (the last PC version before going to Apple-only) allowed you to demix a midi file by channel. Maybe this feature is available in Cubase.

That's what the Dissolve Part function I mentioned earlier does - I don't see any mention of it being a restricted feature in Elements so I would assume it's available.

Jake_JW, Cubase Elements does indeed have the "Dissolve Part" function. Thank you! It isn't the most ideal solution (which would be offered by the "Input Transformer" function), but it's the most suitable alternative.

Back