Does anyone still enjoying and using their all-in-one multi-track recorders?

Centropolis

I am wondering if anyone out there that still prefers using an all-in-a-box solution for multi-track recording? Like a Tascam DP-01/02/03/004 etc...or a Boss BR-600/800/1200 etc.

i use my br-1200 all the time, however it is pretty much just an interface now. i record all the tracks dry then import them into my cpu and use reaper or cubase. i do use the built in comps, eq,fx at times though. mine has mic modelers and amp sims and stuff. it gets pretty technical when you don't use the presets and tweak it all yourself. the downside i only have two inputs at a time :( i should have bought the br-1600. but i didnt research enough at the time. lesson learned.

its also good for those times when the band cant make it to the studio. i can take it with me and record at other locations. sometimes the band will have like a real nice living room setup with high ceilings and wood floors. situations like that were the room is good i can take it with me.

I have a Tascam DP-01FX and a Fostex MR16 that I use to record ideas from time to time. I haven't really used them much since last fall. I did bring the Tascam back out of storage last week for that reason, though. It's very easy to use, and easy to remember where all the functions are.

The Fostex isn't quite as intuitive, though I thought the sound quality seemed pretty good. I really like it, but don't know whether to sell it or not. Since I stopped using it primarily and shifted to the computer, I've collected some preamps and microphones that I would like to try with it now. Maybe that will happen this weekend.

On the subject of importing tracks...

The Tascam wasn't all that easy when it came to importing tracks. Fostex had a program called Wav Manager, but I could never get it to work right. I found where a current version had been released yesterday and downloaded it. We'll see if it works or not.

My "critical" recording is done at my son's pro recording/rehearsal studio in New Orleans, studio101nola.com, but the recording I do myself is almost (well always, these days) done on a Zoom R16. It works fine for me. I don't doubt there is "better" gear out there, but I don't need it. Thus, I am quite pleased with the results the R16 returns.

I like my 2488neo a whole lot. Actually got it after my last computer went belly-up and I was fed up dealing with HD crashes, latency, upgrades, etc. I know the Tascam is an HD unit and thus just as vulnerable to a crash, I don't have all the other computer-related headaches when using it (at least, not yet).

I use a Yamaha AW4416 and will until it breaks.... I'm sorta used to it. I have Reaper on my PC and I use that for MIDI drums which I then import back into the Yammie to mix.

I have a two friends with that same recorder. One uses it for his rough demo stuff, but the other guys completes each recording entire;y on that unit. It's impressive.

Back