Does anyone play live anymore?(Att..Houdini)

DS

I asked the same question in the OTHER EQUIPMENT thread.I got just as many responses as you.Which leads me to believe all these guy's do is record 24/7.Granted I have received some good answers to some of the other ?'s Ive posted,and I truely thank those experienced people who answered them.But why is it so many of you will answer ?'s like why won't my strings bend when you know little johnny should have been a hair dresser instead of a guitar player.Or what goes with a POD.....when everyone knows PEAS go with a POD.I don't know maybe it's work,maybe it's the traffic,maybe tomorrow I'll sit back and laugh at it.But till then can anyone answer our question.

Yes, I still play live although sometimes I wish I didn't.
Its such a pain in the ass. No money, a bunch of drunks, no
one except the musicians know how much work really goes into it.

I play live with my band the Buddy System (www.resnet.wm.edu/~naamme) all the time. Although I also tend to feel kind of out of place here with all the technical recording/engineering stuff that I don't understand, so maybe that's it. I don't have anything against people who just record though, I enjoy recording and playing live, though in two different ways. Playing live is more like an adrenaline-filled exciting fun, while recording is a more low-key, kind of relaxing fun. Know what I mean? They seem to be pretty seperate to me. I've only tried to record my band twice, and I was pretty miserable both times. And on the other hand, I don't think I could play the songs I record live. Anyone know what I mean?

I've played with bands for over 20 years,but marriage and kids have vastly curtailed my participation in live playing.
Every once in a while I am called for some session and or fill in work,but now I concentrate on trying to hone my recording skills while at the same time continue songwriting and bass playing.
Peace.

To me, playing live is the ultimate-what I love is getting up on stage. (full stop).

How ever many people turn out to see the band, well done; it's the people who don't who miss out.

I love recording, it's where the inspiration comes from, portraying that live is something different-I'm in a world of my own.

It is my most enjoyable fear. I love performing live . .

Is it worth it ? - NO.

Can I go out right now and blow the competition away ? - Yes.

Do I care to? - NO

Next time I do a show it will be on my own terms.

Am I in a hurry? - NO.

Will a band from another planet, someday perform something I wrote ? Only if I write it first.

Live is my night job. I play some 300+ gigs a year. this is where I develope material. My songs really come to life for me on stage.I rarely record a song that hasn't seen a 100 gigs.
The studio is where I sit down and paint on my audio canvas

Playing live keeps everybody honest. We are all legends in our own mind -- and judging from the posts, owners of killer recording setups. At least for our purposes, within our limitations, we are doing exactly what we want to do. Once, after playing a duo Martin D28/Dobro [with a partner] rendition of 'The Wind Cries Mary' a waitress came up to us and said, 'that's beautiful -that was my father's favorite song!' Recording and endless [at least in my case] editing and tweaking is one thing... but playing live is the reward we get for doin' good.
Of course, I'm in Texas where you can throw a rock and hit 2 lead guitarists, a drummer and a pedal steel player...
John

DS:
"Live" isn't even live these days.
I've had the opportunity to be in the arena when some of the biggest acts in Rock music were doing thier set-up and sound-checks.
Much of what you hear is pre-recorded music. That's how they're able to jump around the stage and still not miss a beat (or note).
I've seen this with U-2, The Rolling Stones, and even just last week at an outdoor fest where the Jayhawks played. I was hearing rhythm guitar parts that neither guitarist was actually playing.

Anyway, I'm working on an acoustic duo-thing with my partner right now to help bolster CD sales locally. It's all we can do for now since we both played multiple instruments on our CD.
Basically, we're a 2-man band and we have dealt with too many egos, excuses for not making practice, arguements over what songs to play, etc. etc.
Having a *real* live band these days is not an easy accomplishment. Especially after you've hit 30. You get tired of 4 or 5 personalities clashing.
Heck, Steely Dan is a great 2-man band, but even THEY hate eachother!
Hmmm... do you think they're in it for the money at this point? :rolleyes:

I live in the New York City area (north of the City actually), I play acoustic music, and it seems to me that EVERYBODY plays live. It's difficult to get small venues to pay attention because they're deluged with all the masturbators. There are also many many really good musicians, of course, and unfortunately many are concerned with "blowing away the competition" instead of reaching people (musical competition, while unavoidable, can be counterproductive to making music). This all is why I'm becoming interested in home recording; it's an alternative way to find my audience, unlimited by time, space and geographic boundaries. To me the ultimate is a very large room of people who are feeling the music with me, though, and you can't get that kind of feedback digitally.

Back