Does anyone know the general royalty rate if you have one song on a copulation CD?

Ray J

Got a call from the pres. of a record company in New Orleans and wants to use a song of mine on a copulation CD of New Orleans music. I won't be giving up the rights or the publishing. Just licensing it out or whatever. It's my song and my performance. Im sure the amt per unit sold may be somehow tied to how many songs total are on the CD. I'm thinking about 20 cents per unit sold. That's if I had to guess. He's offering less. Anyone with on know someone with previous experience with this?

Thanks

Ray J

I would guess a nickel, twenty cents is pretty high.

There could be 20 songs on such a CD, 20 cents a song is 4 bucks in payouts, and that is way off the norm. 5 cents a song is a dollar to the artists. Thats about right unless you are a superstar. A buck a CD is good, so figure out how many songs there are and divide 100 by that number.

100/20 =5.

100/16= 6.25

I doubt there would be less than 16 songs, so 6.25 cents is probably the most you would get.

OK, yeah, pardon the spelling

David K, thanks, that makes me feel a little better. They're giving 10 cents per unit sold. I just wanted to get a rough idea of what the going rate was to make sure I wasn't getting jobbed. Thanks for the input.

Peace

Ray J

Ray J said:
OK, yeah, pardon the spelling

David K, thanks, that makes me feel a little better. They're giving 10 cents per unit sold. I just wanted to get a rough idea of what the going rate was to make sure I wasn't getting jobbed. Thanks for the input.

Peace

Ray J

Sounds pretty good Ray. Hope it works out for you.

The funny thing is, the Beatles once wrote "Copulation" on one of their early albums as a protest.

"It is with a good deal of pride and pleasure that this copulation has been presented." And this was no printer's mistake.

Here's the story: http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/ifield.htm

MadAudio said:
Can't help you, but the phrase "copulation CD" has me laughing my ass off. So is it all songs about fucking?

Compilation......... ;)
....could be all sex music covers..... :cool:
Either way, it made me grin in a very silly way! :D

Lol I love when spelling mistakes and typo's end out something funny :p

But yeah $0.10 is a pretty good effort :) Nice work

How about you learn how to speak cause I have no idea what you just said.

Just kidding. Good luck with that, hope it works out.

MadAudio said:
So is it all songs about fucking?

B0000019GE.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115509341_.jpg

Damn image code being turned off.

Back