Does anybody use a sync box?

sixtiesman

I am desperate to sync an 8 track tape deck to cubase sx2.
It ignores midi time code from a Midiman Smartsync box because cubase have stopped supporting that code!
Next I tried a Philip Rees TS1 which outputs a variety of codes smpte 25 frames, 30 frames, etc. etc. none of which worked. The problem does seem to be with cubase itself having tried other computers and swapped out boxes in the link.

Can anyone PLEASE throw some light my way? I have spent money and a lot of time and I cannot sync the tape to cubase! Surely this should be simple?? I am tearing my hair out now!!!!

I will buy any box that will do this!!! (despair setting in!)

please help!

sixtiesman

My thanks to Manning1 for your suggestions.
I really do want to stay a little longer in the analogue domain!
I have tried all you suggest lower and higher levels to no avail.
Cubase will lock to the right minutes and seconds but not the correct frame!! Very frustrating!

I will eventually have to throw the towel in as you did and go all digi, but I can't believe that it's not possible to do this seemingly small thing?

thanks again

sixtiesman

if you continue to have sync problems with any new sync unit.
heres an idea that might rescue your existing songs if you do go all digital.
so you can move them over to PC.
for each song and before each song starts put a drum machine click recorded AT THE SAME TIME for a few seconds.
then using a pc multi input sound card. record the 8 tracks for example to the pc. then check all the tracks line up in sx. ie: all the drum clicks.THEY SHOULD. with a multi input sound card you shouldnt need them,
but if you have only a stereo card its a bit hairier. you have to record say one track in sx at a time. THEN YOU DEFINITELY NEED THE FRONT CLICKS.
because you might find slight variances in tape speed as you play the tape 8 times (i'm assuming you have 8 track multitrack).
now - with a stereo sound card to record 8 tracks you might also consider recording 2 at a time.
eg: one to line in left and other to line in right. once again make sure clicks are on the front of each song.
the stereo card option is a bit more problematic. because in sx you might have to manually shift tracks to line up the clicks. and with speed variations
you might get a bit of phasing. so in summary a better one shot deal into say an 8 input soundcard is a better solution for each song.
phew - i hope i explained this right.
just ask - say in the soundcards section for me of this bbs. start off with like "hey manning..." or something.
because i dont always read this section.
hope this helps in case your in a jam. get it ?

Back