does anybody know where i might find a 10 string acoustic...

triple

or if they even make them...couldn't find anything on google...basically what i'm looking for is an acoustic guitar that has the six regular strings plus the four bass strings on one neck...i remember seeing an add for a 10 string electric in a guitar mag way back when i was in high school but i can't seem to find it in my boxes of misc. crap...any help would be appreciated...thanks

i'm basically looking for an acoustic guitar that has the six regular guitar strings and then the four bass strings on one neck...those harp guitars were very cool but not what i was looking for...
hey normalizer, it was actually just the same thing as a git and bass together, no octaves or unison strings, on one neck...
i'm just looking for a sweet ten string to do some fingerpicking on...i just want it to be a bass and guitar with one neck...
i'll keep looking but i can't seem to find anything anywhere...one of these days i guess

For what your after - i.e., a guitar with ten individual strings - you are going to have to look at a custom instrument. There is just nothing like enough demand for it to be a mass produced product. There are a lot of good custom builders out there, but you are looking at some serious money to get something like that made. The LOWEST you are likely to find is going to be at least $3000, and even that is a very conservative estimate. Also, it is going to be a real bear to try and play. The stretch to those low strings will be extreme. While there have been a fair number of classical guitarists who have used guitars with as many as 12 (and maybe up to 16, but I don't remember) individual strings, the higher tension of a steel string guitar kind of scares me when I think of having that many strings.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Hmmm...only 10 string that comes to mind is a Cittern that a guy in a local irish band plays, I used to play gigs with him and it was sort of a mandocello sized instrument with 10 strings. It has 5 sets of unison strings and he tuned it to a variation of DADGAD, minus the highest D strings. He got some interesting drone things going with it.

altiris said:
a bajo sexto is a ten string.

But of course, he is looking for a guitar with 10 individual strings, not 5 courses.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Attachments

• 10stringwollo.jpg
    10stringwollo.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 29
  • mwm10string3.jpg
    mwm10string3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 25
Light said:
While there have been a fair number of classical guitarists who have used guitars with as many as 12 (and maybe up to 16, but I don't remember) individual strings, the higher tension of a steel string guitar kind of scares me when I think of having that many strings.
I am at a loss at how that would be different than a conventional 12 string. I am correct that even the thinner gauge strings don't nec. correlate to less tension either...right?

mixmkr said:
I am at a loss at how that would be different than a conventional 12 string. I am correct that even the thinner gauge strings don't nec. correlate to less tension either...right?

I'm not worried about the instrument. It would need to be made a bit heavier than normal, as all tweleve strings are, but it would have a neck which would be about 4-5 inches wide, and tring to push down on a string that far a way is a real bitch. I've got an 8 string that I made (5 guitar and 3 bass) which is bad enough. Hell, I have big enough problems when the neck gets over 1 3/4 inches. The leverage just isn't there. I would almost think you would have to tap an instrument like that, but that brings up it's own set of problems when it comes to acoustics.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Wow that 10 strings reminds me of a Rugby Union prop - ONE FAT NECK.
Why oh Why would you? It seems as pointless as those 7 & 8 string thinsg that were der in the 80's.

Another view of the same instrument. The strings going down through the headstock are sympathetic strings that drone with the instrument.

Treeline said:
Do a google search for "Fred Carlson" or "Sympitar." :cool:

He had one at Heldsberg last year which was, for all practical purposes, mad of paper machie. I kid you not. He was using wood glue for the resin, instead of plaster, but it was recycled newspaper and wood glue (at least, for the back and sides).

I'm probably just WAY too hidebound for my own good, but I didn't get it.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back