Do your worst.

tvaillan

Do your worst.

I'm looking for mixing critique.

Let me know how 'spacially' everything fits together or not. Tell me what's too weak and what's too much so that I can fix it. My sense of 'pan' tends to lean to the left. No jokes please. :-)

I'm looking for tone critique:

Guitar sounds like crap? Kick drum is weak? Cymbals out of phase? Let me know so I can fix it. My ears are far from pro. (Newbie actually)

I'm looking for overall engineering critique.

Compressor pumping? Release isn't fast enough? Guitar needs to have some low end rolled off? There's no prescence on the bass? I'm new to the world of 'Loudness Maximizers' and multi band compressors , help is VERY much appreciated.

The song in question (the ONLY song in question) is called:

Sunday.

It's a few segments of a larger tune. (I have other parts on my PC and myself and the band need to remake it. I can't wait.)

It lives at:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/empire/singles

Thanks guys.

sounds dandy

Im not an engineer, but the mix has a muddiness to it when everything is playing ... I need to work on my mixes in that respect, also... it takes a bunch of work to get instruments to sit pretty :) Keep Jammin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tvaillan,

This song doesn't f*ck around a bit! It is infectious from the get go.

I thought the syth was lost in the intro and establishment of the melody. You might try a bigger pan of the gits to make room for the synth up the middle and put that synth up more.

At about 1:01 you have a really nice sonic break. Great playing, very fitting. Then the same buried synth melody. Up please.

The exit is nice and tidy but a bit loud. I'd pull it down some (not much) and make it more subtle when the sweep reaches the center point.

Just some thoughts.

Cool tune dude. Compact and well written.

Hope I helped a little,

Theron.

yeah...the performances are there. ...they are just fighting for their own space in the mix. On first listen, it appears that everything is panned at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Nothing really in the middle except the snare and dbl bass drums. Also, the synths and guitars are additionally fighting for the same EQ space too....very similar it sounded.
When the gts come in at the beginning, they really take the dominant role, but it appears that the melody lines are with the synths, which get buried at this point. I think the volume balances are opposite of what they should be between the rhy gtrs and your synth track(s). Even though I generally like the sound of the gtrs doubled, I wonder what it would sound like with just one playing....like would it leave the needed space for the other stuff. Hard to tell with it being so dominant.

One last thing...I can picture this .wav form as just a big solid, single rectangle on a DAW. There isn't much for dynamic range in this mix either. The music is pedal to the metal, so that might be hard to achieve without re-writing some of the music. I'll just say, the break from the thrashing gtrs makes for a needed break when it happens...and the dancing synth pans from right to left.

Definately some 'madness' happening here! Some cool stuff, for sure.

it's a start.

The coments have all been helpful so far.

Mixmkr,

As for the dynamic range for the whole tune, I'm thinking about doing some serious Loudness Maximize and quick release on the guitars only and then increasing the whole mix by about 3~4 db's. As it stands, the loudness maximizer is applied to the tune as a whole and i'm boosting it about 8 db's. (Just trying to acheive a loudness comparable to Symphony X's The Grand Design) So as you figured, 90% of the dynamic range of the tune is most likely in the top 10 db's. (I guess you can't really call this 'dynamic range'. lol)

As for the shape of the wave on my DAW, you're right it's almost a solid block. Just like the symphony X tune. I guess it's typical of this kind of music. I'm figuring that after i apply the maximizer to mostly the guitar and only slightly boost the rest, it should clear things up. Hopefully Ill regain a nice waveform during the mellow part.

The synth DOES get lost in the mix! wow i didn't realize how much!

I'll play around with the level and the placement in the stereo field. I'm also gonna try and see if i can' bring out's ome characteristic frequency in the synth to give it a more dominant role. Prolly just end up taking the volume down on the rythm and boosting the synth as you suggested.

Thanks a bunch guys, and especially mixmkr, as usuall some very good advice.

cool tune!

I like it but agree there are some problems with the sound.. I'm not crazy about the guitar tone, but the playing is great! I like the synths too.. I just think it needs some more meat.. I dont know enough to tell you how to fix it, I can just say what I like or dont.. I like the playing but I'm not crazy about the sound..

definitely good stuff though.. I'm checking out the others..

late
sam

about the guitar tone....

B.Sabbath,

Last night i was farting around with the guitar distortion/tone and i found a really cool trick that should solve ALL guitar tone problems. The trick is designed to give me rock concert sustain and a nice warm overall body for leads and as for the crunching rythm, I think i found a way to get some nice metal dist without compromising my intruments frequency spectrum. (we metalhead people typically choke the midrange.)

The trick requires my guitar fx processor and amp sim, a stereo chanel splitter, an eq, a compressor, a volume pedal and 4 mixer channels for live performances. For studio work, all I need is to clone my stereo track and use a compressor and eq on the cloned track. ... blah blah blah .. you'll hear the difference soon.

Also I created a couple of wicked presets for my fx processor. I can't wait to use em in a recording.

Thanks for the feedback man. I hope to dazzle your ears in the near future.

Back