Do you support local artists sellin CDs on the street?

Me myself & him

If I got the money I always buy em, sometimes even if I don't get a chance to listen to it. I always support them cats cause soon enough, I'mma be one of em.

How about you?

That's how it's gotta be. All i'm buying now is local cat's cds. How can anybody expect to sell their cd's when even they run out to buy industry hype man #1 over the cat next door. I like the hot sellers but they gonna get paid. Some of the cd are wack but I gotta repsect the game and take care of my own with the little I got.

I also gotta say call the fake fools out on this topic. If a cat comes up to you talking about I'm a loacal rapper or producer trying to blow this spot up. Ask them what local stuff they got in the ride. Fake cats gonna bitch up and say shit like, i got em somewhere not right here though. Real cats gonna have the shit or just peep the game and fess up.

Damn, that reminds me, I gotta put some of my CDs in the car:D The shit ain't mixed and it's old, but it's something

I also gotta transfer some of the local stuff from tape to CD so I can listen to it in the car.

True.

This cat walked up to me at the gas station sellin his CD, it looked good, but I just didn't have the money and a cassette deck in the car so I took his cell number. He probably thinks I was just bullshittin, but as soon as I get paid, I'mma call him. What I really want is to hear some premium quality local shit like the one I got a couple months back, so I can have favorite MC's and producers in my own Area to listen to all the time.

I buy a bit of shit from local/regional cats, but more to support them than anything else. I do listen to the stuff with the hope that something'll really move me, which don't happen too often. I pick up their shit nonetheless.

I must admit, sometimes it's due to an ulterior motive, like letting em know they can put out better sounding material if they come to my spot to record and engineer, as well as turning them on to a few spots to get shit mastered at. If they can't afford mastering then I do the best I can for 'em, though I'd never call myself even the shadow of a mastering engineer. If their shit sounds up to par as is, I tell em that, too. I guess if I lived in a larger metropolitan area where 50 million cats was selling their own shit I'd have to be a bit more selective, but I don't, so I snap up shit pretty regular. If I get burnt on a CD or two, then their shit has to stay with them. I mean, I'm all about supporting your local scene and shit, but this fool and his money ain't all that easily parted.

As far as "comparison," I don't even flow like that. If I feel their shit, cool, and if not, then cool too. I don't care to walk in the next man's nikes, at least not when it comes to beats, rhymes, rides, and bitches - I got my own steez, and that's how I gets down. In fact, if I think somebody's shit is bangin', then i'm all about getting them to do a gig at a party or show, or trying to turn on the rest of the natives by pushing their shit at my shop. Sometimes i'll buy 10-20 copies to give away as freebies (with a minimum purchase of $6,000.00 or more, of course:D ), however, I don't kill myself to fuck with the locals, usually more drama than it's worth. Besides, cats wanna get to familiar to quick, and like the old saying goes, "familiarity breeds contempt."

I respect the game, but more than that, I respect the NAME, hip-hop, that is. I encourage most cats, check em out if i know they're at some venue or function, and go on about my business. Often, they don't even know i'm there, just another brim to the side in the crowd (if there even is a "crowd"). And so it goes...

Flo' Dolo

You gotta respect artist that sell on the street.Thats the real from the heart sh!t right ther.I've got a foot in the industry.And all them industry cats.TRUST ME.Dam,n near all of them cats are manufacture.Their told what to fo,how to do it,when to do it.The industry try and shape this culture (rap/hip-hop),but when you got a struggle artist fresh off the streets.He's in the sh!t so he can tell it better than anyone.Aint no suga coating....I love underground artist.......

I love the underground cats, too, and I've RUN from some legit, cushy-lookin' offers in the past, but unknown, unsigned, and unheard of don't make you fresh.

F.D.

I think what Mannish is sayin is that what you hearin from underground cats is from the mind, heart, and more true to the music cuz they don't have to go platinum........

You need to understand that what you percieve as reality of the commercial hip hop industry is the total oppsite of how the game is actually played.... When you learn that this is a business of generating income and music is the vehicle you quickily begin to see how attitudes change...... Example:

You all love Dr. Dre ..... he is the best beat maker, 8 million sold off his last joint and yada yada yada

The truth is Dr. Dre himself does not sit at an engineering booth and make beats, secondly Dr. Dre did not write one rhyme on his album.............but what Dr. Dre is - is a product a household name that sells....and with his stamp on it the music will sell to the masses......

If/ When your local cats get signed their input to what gets heard is not final........ Many others make the decision before the artist and direct what gets played when where and how........

Yo Gec...

Peep this:

I think what Mannish is sayin is that what you hearin from underground cats is from the mind, heart, and more true to the music cuz they don't have to go platinum........

That part I not only understand, but for the most part agree with. Truth is, lots of cats unsigned/unknown cats strive to be like their platinum selling counterparts. Nothing wrong with that though, get in where you fit in. Not "having to go platinum" doesn't automatically make you "from the mind, heart, and more true to the music."

Besides, there's no crime if 3 million people wanna bang your shit, is there? That could well just mean that your stuff is, at that point and time, commercially viable, whether you sell truckloads through your favorite major distributor, or out the trunk of your hooptie, right?

You need to understand that what you percieve as reality of the commercial hip hop industry is the total oppsite of how the game is actually played.... When you learn that this is a business of generating income and music is the vehicle you quickily begin to see how attitudes change...... Example:

You need to understand that (without boring you all with name/place/situation-dropping) I probably can relate to that shit far better than most posting on this BBS. Dunno how my comments made you think otherwise, but let's not get it twisted. I appreciate you trying to drop some science though for those who don't know.

About Dre: I don't care if he writes rhymes or not. Most of your favorite vocalists probably only write half (if that much) of the songs they sing. I know, I have been writing for lots of people, both rhymes and songs, for well over a decade. He never claimed to be an MC, he just spits rhymes. No crime in that considering he seems to be pretty adept at "conducting his orchestra." And no, I'm not on Dre's dick. But really, who cares? He does what he does, you do what you do, and I do what I do. The world keeps turnin' and life goes on.

Like I said "I love the underground cats, too, and I've RUN from some legit, cushy-lookin' offers in the past, but unknown, unsigned, and unheard of don't make you fresh." Conversely, being on a major label, or having major distribution and "the machine" behind you doesn't make you dope. I can really appreciate what folks gotta do when they've got to promote their own shit, but I still stand by what I said: it don't make you dope. That was my only point. If I had a penny for every bullshit-assed CD or piece of wax somebody struggled to put out that was dope, I'd be no closer to millionaire than I am today. And trust me when I tell you, I get more wax and CDs in a week, every week, than lots of DJs get in a month or two.

I respect everybody who makes music. In fact, I respect everybody, period. I may not like them or their shit, but I respect them nonetheless (or at least treat them with respect). Both your and Mannish1's comments say exactly why. Cats on the street is strugglin, livin' it. However, most cats with deals are, too. One man's 40 is the next man's Crystal, right? The only difference between the no deal cat and the got-a-deal cat is the type of struggle. One is to eat, the other is to not go insane with everybody's hand on your girlfriend's (your music's) ass.

And still I believe that bein' broke (or livin' large) don't make you dope.

F.D.

Normally, most of the local artists give me their product. My form of support is to play it in the clubs, on a mix tape, or on the radio.

If it is SUPER WACK, I can't take the risk playing the song. :(

However, it is is super wack, AND they come down to one of my clubs, I might play it :rolleyes: (just so they can see the crowds reaction or the crowd clearing the floor).

If the song is "tight", I'll play it d*mn near every time I'm playing in a club.

If they are a friend or an associate of mine, I'll buy a copy.

My $.02, YMMV............. :)

gec said:

You all love Dr. Dre ..... he is the best beat maker, 8 million sold off his last joint and yada yada yada

The truth is Dr. Dre himself does not sit at an engineering booth and make beats, secondly Dr. Dre did not write one rhyme on his album.............but what Dr. Dre is - is a product a household name that sells....and with his stamp on it the music will sell to the masses......

If/ When your local cats get signed their input to what gets heard is not final........ Many others make the decision before the artist and direct what gets played when where and how........

HERE,HERE.
Beautifully said bro.

I go at it like this.I don't care if you got a major producer or you produce it yourself.If your music got that special spark to move me,then I feel it'll move the masses.The 1st thing I look for is if the artist in one with his music, intensity/emotional and delivery.We all got that special switch in us that click when we hear that special song that pushes a button.Flo dolo when you say what makes a person fresh or not,wack or not.What,in your opinion makes a person fresh or not.In my opinion,its what comes from inside.I'm not into taking somebody that got good looks,writing for him and making him a artist.I'm not into creating talent.I've also run away from major offers because of it.This major label industry is so manmade that it doesn't make any sense.They try/are shaping this culture into whatever they feel like.When I say shaping.Look at the youth.Whats being heard today is whats being fed into their minds thru music and the youth is our future leaders.Hip-Hop as of today can be jolted into anything the industry can conceive.They control this thing...

BTW.Spinster...I'm gonna make it my business to get with you bro.1

MANNISH1 said:
I go at it like this.I don't care if you got a major producer or you produce it yourself.If your music got that special spark to move me,then I feel it'll move the masses.The 1st thing I look for is if the artist in one with his music, intensity/emotional and delivery.We all got that special switch in us that click when we hear that special song that pushes a button.Flo dolo when you say what makes a person fresh or not,wack or not.What,in your opinion makes a person fresh or not.In my opinion,its what comes from inside.I'm not into taking somebody that got good looks,writing for him and making him a artist.I'm not into creating talent.I've also run away from major offers because of it.This major label industry is so manmade that it doesn't make any sense.They try/are shaping this culture into whatever they feel like.When I say shaping.Look at the youth.Whats being heard today is whats being fed into their minds thru music and the youth is our future leaders.Hip-Hop as of today can be jolted into anything the industry can conceive.They control this thing...

BTW.Spinster...I'm gonna make it my business to get with you bro.1

Nicely said Mannish.I see you're mixing in quite well.Spinster,we coming for you....;)

Flo----- I think you thought I was replying to your comment, but I was just reiterating on what mannish dropped.......As far as Dre is concerned I am a fan of almost everything Aftermath entertainment puts out and don't really care if his ass personally does it or not, the point I was trying to make is he is a product a name........

just like Spin Said:

He plays cats that are dope but won't run the risk of playing something wack....why? cuz he's obviously built up a reputation where fans enjoy hearing him twist and they do not expect him to drop some wack ish on the tables.......

Again, Spin in this sense is a product.........With his stamp of approval by playing it his fans will back the artist for the most part as dope....

It really don't matter what you think is a hot track or what I think is a hot track.......What matters is who's marketing the music and how many people can they get to hear it...... cuz in the end it all comes down to numbers............If you can get 50 million people to hear it you know gain a % of those people as fans .... wack or not wit enough exposure and reptition you will hook some people who will buy the record...........

gec said:
Flo----- I think you thought I was replying to your comment, but I was just reiterating on what mannish dropped.......As far as Dre is concerned I am a fan of almost everything Aftermath entertainment puts out and don't really care if his ass personally does it or not, the point I was trying to make is he is a product a name........

just like Spin Said:

He plays cats that are dope but won't run the risk of playing something wack....why? cuz he's obviously built up a reputation where fans enjoy hearing him twist and they do not expect him to drop some wack ish on the tables.......

Again, Spin in this sense is a product.........With his stamp of approval by playing it his fans will back the artist for the most part as dope....

It really don't matter what you think is a hot track or what I think is a hot track.......What matters is who's marketing the music and how many people can they get to hear it...... cuz in the end it all comes down to numbers............If you can get 50 million people to hear it you know gain a % of those people as fans .... wack or not wit enough exposure and reptition you will hook some people who will buy the record...........

Lights a fatty.Theirs nuttin else needs to be said...........1

Back