Do you need an amp

altiris

I’m looking into buying a guitar multi-effects processor. Most of the reviews are mixed for all of the one I’ve looked at. Ive looked at the: GNX4, Boss ME-50, GT8 and GT6. The GNX is overkill for me. Its got too many features I will not need. The ME-50 has some good things I like. However does the ME-50 require an amp? I only have a mixer and a set of monitors. I’ve read that some of the effects are meant to be connected to an amp. If you don’t have an amp, is there a device that can be used to simulate one. The GNX has an active speaker compensation switch. That is for use with monitors I assume. Is there a stand alone gadget like that? My question is not which processor to get but more of if I can hook one up to monitors with out quality loss as appose to an amp. Thanks in advance for any help.

altiris said:
My question is not which processor to get but more of if I can hook one up to monitors with out quality loss as appose to an amp.
The Boss unit is specifically for use with a guitar amp. If you're going to be using this for recording only or for stage use without a guitar amp then you need a unit that has speaker simulation - like the GNX4. Or if you're looking for a cheaper option, here's one...

I think the me-50 is junk I had it for a short while and it sounded like crap. I actually like the line 6 stuff but other people don't.

I guess its taste in music. thats why it may be junk to some and to others its ok. Iv'e been searching around and found a little box that says its a speaker simulation unit. Is that the same thing thats on the GNX? Just to let you know I dont play hard core rock. mostly moderate rock.

altiris said:
mostly moderate rock.
Ah. Well. So you're neither Red nor Blue, but a pleasing shade of purple.

My advice is to try the products out for yourself. Go to a store that has the gizmos you are asking about and use them for yourself. Use all five senses when you do, not just your hearing. See, touch, smell and maybe even taste (if you feel you must) a bunch of guitar multifx processers because they are thick on the ground these days. I'm sure you will find a store clerk there to befuddle with your questions. If he can't answer one or more, I'm sure we can so feel free to revisit our humble homerecording.com site anyoldtime.

One of my favorites is the old Digitech RP21D - pretty good sounds, tons of effects, and you can find them on eBay occasionally for around $200 or so. But, IMO, if you are really wanting to get that good, tube-y sound, you'll NEVER get it from anything but a real, bona-fide GOOD tube amp. Even though my RP21D has a tube in it, it still can't cut it like a real amp.

yea ive tried the gnx4. my cousin has one. but it has more than i need. like recording, and drum loops, a mic in. Im sure that adds to the cost . Id rather pay less for some effects only and not all that other stuff. Its kind of an all in one gizmo. but i need to know if an effects ment for an amp can be plugged into a mixer that goes to monitors. is there a stand alone gadget like the active speaker compensation switch?

altiris said:
is there a stand alone gadget like the active speaker compensation switch?
When words appear in blue rather than in black, click on the word and it will take you to another web site that has something to do with what you are asking about. Here's a nice simple multi effects pedal. Here's another. Here's a third. And here is the junior version of what your cousin has.

cool thanks I'll look into those. Right now I’m using an older Digitech rack mount. I forgot what the model was. What’s wrong with it? nothing its just that its not mine. I can buy it off of my cuz but I’m afraid it might die on me. Every now and then it acts up by loosing its memory. and I have to reset it. for some reason its draining the battery prematurely. Thats why I wont buy it from him.

Iv'e seen some bad reveiws on some products because it didnt sound the way they wanted it to right out of the box. I guess this is what some people call plug & play.

Reactions: apl
altiris said:
Iv'e seen some bad reveiws on some products because it didnt sound the way they wanted it to right out of the box.

Yeah, me too. Kinda silly.

Back