Do you have this advert in the US?

rob aylestone

On British TV at the moment is an Prostate Cancer advert for men - if you're over 50, and have not had a PSA test, go to your doctor and ask for one. Our National Heath Service is free, so you can just have a free Government sponsored test. I thought, why not - just a blood test.

Didn't expect to hear back, but I did, and turns out that I have got it, and I'm having a whole day of tests on Monday to find out which type, how big and the best treatment. It's very treatable if you catch it early - hence the push to get people tested.

If any of you guys have not had one and are over 50 - get one done.

Thanks. My FIL got it, treated, and is good now. I'm 55. I've had the screening but am due again. I'll talk to the doctor. I'm good about regular checkups. I try to take advantage of the theft-for-profit that is our private insurance.

In my opinion- there is a lot of general awareness here about the importance of prosrate cancer screening.

I'm due for my second rear end camera too. Need to schedule that.

Best wishes on treatment and recovery!

Last edited:
On British TV at the moment is an Prostate Cancer advert for men - if you're over 50, and have not had a PSA test, go to your doctor and ask for one. Our National Heath Service is free, so you can just have a free Government sponsored test. I thought, why not - just a blood test.

Didn't expect to hear back, but I did, and turns out that I have got it, and I'm having a whole day of tests on Monday to find out which type, how big and the best treatment. It's very treatable if you catch it early - hence the push to get people tested.

If any of you guys have not had one and are over 50 - get one done.
I'm 67 and have been tested negative a bunch of times. Here's hoping you get good news mate!

My brother found out he had it about 3 years ago, at 59. The more aggressive type. Had the choice between surgery or radiation. Neither a particularly good choice. Radiation involved damage to surrounding tissue, so he opted for the more sure shot targeted surgery option. Didn't work. Later went through radiation. Screenings since, so far so good. So far. I was wondering why he was so adamant about possibly putting in an elevator in the mac daddy garage slash above living quarters and all around music & entertainment area at his second home by the lake. He recently let spill as he gets older he may have problems with his hips on account of the radiation. We don't talk about it much anymore, the PC. If he wants to talk, I'll listen.

From my understanding the PSA is sort of a establish a baseline and monitor the rise. It is in part about a change in your PSA. Of course a high PSA can in itself be indicative of a problem.

Good luck to you Rob. It is my understanding most times it is not of the aggressive type and is very treatable. Heck, to my understanding, depending on age(life expectancy considered) the best option is to let it ride if not aggressive. One might be more likely to die of something else before PC becomes a danger of being fatal. I'm not trying to be negative, just honest....although not a doctor. I'll say a prayer for you, brother. Chances are strong in your favor for this to be just another pothole in the road of life's journey.

Oh, one other thing....

As we know, cancer can run in the family. The likelihood, that is. If you have brothers best they get tested as well. So far I and my other older brother are clear. Regardless of any history in the family, we should all get tested. Get tested, fellas.

At 70, I've been going in for evals twice a year to monitor blood pressure, glucose, PSA, etc. I get a full workup each time. That's been happening for about the last 10 years. My cost is usually around $50 after Medicare and insurance.

Hope everything gets taken care of, Rob.

Here in the US, the medical industry advertises more than McDonald's. If there is money to be made, they will push it.
I love it when they come up with these names. Lots of Xs, Ys and Zs it seems. I've heard they actually use a program that generates potential names. I'm sure at some point we'll get XYZYSYTI. Cures everything from acne to zygomycosis,

Side effects include explosive diarrhea, memory loss, stroke, death and compulsive drooling. Ask your doctor if XYZYSYTI is right for you.

The med advertisements are second only to the lawyer ads around here. If you ever get hit by a concrete truck, you've got your choice of half a dozen. "We're your big truck lawyer".

At 70, I've been going in for evals twice a year to monitor blood pressure, glucose, PSA, etc. I get a full workup each time. That's been happening for about the last 10 years. My cost is usually around $50 after Medicare and insurance.

Hope everything gets taken care of, Rob.

I love it when they come up with these names. Lots of Xs, Ys and Zs it seems. I've heard they actually use a program that generates potential names. I'm sure at some point we'll get XYZYSYTI. Cures everything from acne to zygomycosis,

Side effects include explosive diarrhea, memory loss, stroke, death and compulsive drooling. Ask your doctor if XYZYSYTI is right for you.

The med advertisements are second only to the lawyer ads around here. If you ever get hit by a concrete truck, you've got your choice of half a dozen. "We're your big truck lawyer".
When I smoked, and I did enjoy it, I saw an advertisement for Chantix. They go on, in hyper talk about the side affects. I listen and think, hell I have a better chance at smoking.

I am just glad others can see this. If I am crazy, at least I am not alone!

The crazy thing is that the nurse at the hospital told me that this week - there's been a huge rise in people asking for the test - down to King Charles with his enlarged Prostate - apparently it's done more for awareness than all the advertising. If the King is getting it fixed that's good enough for everyone.

Thanks for the nice words gents. One downside to being adopted is that there is NO family history - and that comes up loads as you get older.

It's a good job my band retired - I'm not sure I could do a 60 min set without a pee break!

I don't cable or stream TV, I go OTA with a digital antenna. The majority of commercials are for prostate, colon and every other disease/syndrome under the sun. Closely followed by ambulance chasers (injury lawyers), Medicare plans and car commercials. I have two colorectal and one prostate exam each year.

I'd like to take this time to thank y'all for reminding me about my first exam at age eighteen. You know. . . the one where ol' Doc slides that long, straight, rigid probe roughly the length of a drummer's drumstick straight up the wazoo :spank: Thankyouverymuch :p

In a way it helps make me smile when some (not all) youngsters get so offended my words and looks. They've clearly never had these things and the realisation that a digital examination is NOT going to mean wheeling in a crazy machine with screens that beeps!

We don't get many medical ads at all really - those American ones where they tell you they're great, then give a list of side effects including death make me smile. Probably why just one ad has a good impact. We also don't get drug companies advertising - maybe apart from the occasional headache one.

In a way it helps make me smile when some (not all) youngsters get so offended my words and looks. They've clearly never had these things and the realisation that a digital examination is NOT going to mean wheeling in a crazy machine with screens that beeps!

We don't get many medical ads at all really - those American ones where they tell you they're great, then give a list of side effects including death make me smile. Probably why just one ad has a good impact. We also don't get drug companies advertising - maybe apart from the occasional headache one.
I absolutely love the ones that are for a specific drug that end with the line “don’t take if you are allergic to <insert specific drug>?”

Ya think? 🙄

Back